Lawn sprinkler alarm

  • normnet2003
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 20 10:10 AM
      I have been using a self moving lawn sprinkler however when it pulls 50' of water filled hose it can easily loose traction if it's wheels are on a root, cement, stone or even bare un-rooted ground.
      http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31l8ZEKFQwL._SY300_.jpg

      I have built the notification part of the alarm by use of a walkie talkie and now need a way to detect the loss of forward movement.

      I am trying a MMA7361 accelerometer but I don't think it can reliably detect movement due to it's slow pace.
      http://www.freescale.com/files/sensors/doc/data_sheet/MMA7361L.pdf

      What type of sensor would detect roughly a 1 foot movement over a 2-3 minute period?
      Is their a dead reckoning type of sensor?

      Norm
    • raleigh_ranger
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 20 10:19 AM
        Just try to detect the rotation of the non-powered wheel.
        Anything that produces a pulse if the wheel moves and does not pulse if the wheel stops. Use a watch dog timer to alert you the pulses have stopped.

        --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "normnet2003" <normnet2@...> wrote:

        > I have been using a self moving lawn sprinkler however when it pulls 50' of water filled hose it can easily loose traction if it's wheels are on a root, cement, stone or even bare un-rooted ground.
        > http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31l8ZEKFQwL._SY300_.jpg
        >
        > I have built the notification part of the alarm by use of a walkie talkie and now need a way to detect the loss of forward movement.
        >
        > I am trying a MMA7361 accelerometer but I don't think it can reliably detect movement due to it's slow pace.
        > http://www.freescale.com/files/sensors/doc/data_sheet/MMA7361L.pdf
        >
        > What type of sensor would detect roughly a 1 foot movement over a 2-3 minute period?
        > Is their a dead reckoning type of sensor?
        >
        > Norm

      • normnet2003
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 20 10:36 AM
          Some problems with rotation detection:
          Both rear wheels are locked together and are powered.
          It doesn't turn easily.
          The front wheel isn't powered however it rotates but may be possible?
          It gets stuck in the mud and rocks around a lot which may trip a hall rotation sensor with closely spaced magnets necessary for the slow speed.

          Norm

          --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "raleigh_ranger" <raleigh_ranger@...> wrote:

          > Just try to detect the rotation of the non-powered wheel.
          > Anything that produces a pulse if the wheel moves and does not pulse if the wheel stops. Use a watch dog timer to alert you the pulses have stopped.
          >
          > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "normnet2003" <normnet2@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have been using a self moving lawn sprinkler however when it pulls 50' of water filled hose it can easily loose traction if it's wheels are on a root, cement, stone or even bare un-rooted ground.
          > > http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31l8ZEKFQwL._SY300_.jpg
          > >
          > > I have built the notification part of the alarm by use of a walkie talkie and now need a way to detect the loss of forward movement.
          > >
          > > I am trying a MMA7361 accelerometer but I don't think it can reliably detect movement due to it's slow pace.
          > > http://www.freescale.com/files/sensors/doc/data_sheet/MMA7361L.pdf
          > >
          > > What type of sensor would detect roughly a 1 foot movement over a 2-3 minute period?
          > > Is their a dead reckoning type of sensor?
          > >
          > > Norm

        • jong kung
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 20 11:03 AM
            Norm,

            > What type of sensor would detect roughly a 1 foot movement
            > over a 2-3 minute period?
            > Is their a dead reckoning type of sensor?

            How about sonar type of objection detection. They can be used for distance measurements too. I don't know what is the max distance but if your yard is not bigger than the max distance...

            Also the obvious - GPS

            http://www.parallax.com/Store/Sensors/CompassGPS/tabid/173/CategoryID/48/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/894/Default.aspx

            =====

            There are hamradio hobby of SIGNAL FOX HUNTING.

            http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDkQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.k3cal.org%2Ffiles%2FFox%2520Hunting.ppt&ei=vNVyUezIKuaxiwK7tYGABQ&usg=AFQjCNHQzfXSxx-kCo--waEGbLafrTBF4A&sig2=1FstIIo9LAXmiAFQkoRrvw&bvm=bv.45512109,d.cGE&cad=rja

            I would think one of them will be useful for MOVING signal source.

            =====

            By the way... why not put down some garden hoses permanently in or around the lawn? I would think this is the best long term /low tech method.

            Jong
          • jong kung
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 20 11:10 AM
              Norm,

              > > Just try to detect the rotation of the non-powered
              > wheel.
              > > Anything that produces a pulse if the wheel moves and
              > does not pulse if the wheel stops.

              This is the simplest and best method.

              Use the non-powered wheels as the movement detector. If these wheels spin, then the sprinkler is moving around.

              Two thumbs up for simple and clear thinking solution.

              Jong
            • normnet2003
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 20 1:33 PM
                It may be easier to add a trailing wheel assembly to detect movement as it could be made as one unit and wouldn't pivot as the only non powered wheel in the front does.

                Another forum suggested adapting an optical mouse to detect movement over the ground.

                Norm

                --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, jong kung <jongkung01@...> wrote:

                > Norm,
                >

                > > > Just try to detect the rotation of the non-powered
                > > wheel.
                > > > Anything that produces a pulse if the wheel moves and
                > > does not pulse if the wheel stops.
                >
                > This is the simplest and best method.
                >
                > Use the non-powered wheels as the movement detector. If these wheels spin, then the sprinkler is moving around.
                >
                > Two thumbs up for simple and clear thinking solution.
                >

                > Jong

              • Jong Kung
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 20 5:11 PM
                  Norm,

                  I would think attaching a small magnet on the non powered wheel and attaching a sensor near the magnet - is easy to implement.

                  Optical mouse technology seems kind of high tech. I don't think optical mouse works for uneven (grass) surface. The magnet + hall sensor technology is proven in car abs system. And they work even with dirt, etc..

                  Just thinking out loud. I like your first idea. Simple and effective solution.

                  Jong

                  On Apr 20, 2013, at 10:33 AM, "normnet2003" <normnet2@...> wrote:

                  > It may be easier to add a trailing wheel assembly to detect movement as it could be made as one unit and wouldn't pivot as the only non powered wheel in the front does.
                  >
                  > Another forum suggested adapting an optical mouse to detect movement over the ground.
                  >
                  > Norm
                  >
                  > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, jong kung <jongkung01@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Norm,

                  >>> wheel.
                  >>> does not pulse if the wheel stops.
                  >>
                  >> This is the simplest and best method.
                  >>
                  >> Use the non-powered wheels as the movement detector. If these wheels spin, then the sprinkler is moving around.
                  >>
                  >> Two thumbs up for simple and clear thinking solution.
                  >>

                  >> Jong

                • Tony Mikolaj
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 21 5:08 AM
                    --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Jong Kung <jongkung01@...> wrote:

                    > Optical mouse technology seems kind of high tech. I don't think optical mouse works for uneven (grass) surface. The magnet + hall sensor technology is proven in car abs system. And they work even with dirt, etc..

                    Or you could use the mouse to detect lines (tape) marked on the hose which would also tell you if it had "come off the rails"

                    Tony
                  • normnet2003
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 21 8:29 AM
                      I have settled on a hall sensor and magnets on the front wheel after determining how to mount and keep water tight.

                      Thanks all for the insight.

                      Norm