Re: Driving Hydraulic/Pneumatic solenoid valves

  • John
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 11, 2013
      --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Hackett" <egroupscdh@...> wrote:

      > I need to drive several Hydraulic and Pneumatic solenoid valves. They vary
      > between 12v and 24v DC with a current requirement of 1A to 2A.
      >
      > On/Off rates vary from 2 or 3 times a second to on for extended periods (say
      > 30 seconds).
      >
      > They are controlled by an ATMega128 microcontroller.
      >
      > I know I can do it with a common parallel driver chip and relays but I'd
      > prefer to do it with solid state devices (I'm assuming some kind of FET is
      > appropriate here?).
      >
      > Can someone suggest a particular FET and drive circuit?

      Perhaps look at something like the MCP1404? Takes a logic signal and drives a MOSFET. However, since it can source up to 4.5A you could probably use it on it's own.
    • Michael
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 26, 2013
        Drivers, yes ok, or protected drivers. But is that not the device of choice for driving high power solenoids? Or do people use "bare" FETs or Transistors? Wasnt that the original poster's question.
        Mike