Re: [Electronics_101] Re: "Soft" adhesive?

  • Dave C
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 24, 2013
      Never use regular silicone sealer for use near electronics. The curing agent is acetic acid which will corrode copper and other metals.

      There is silicone sealer specially formulated for electronics that doesn't use acetic acid.

      Dave

      On Mar 24, 2013, at 5:47 PM, Randy wrote:

      > Good point! I saw a clever implementation of this once...
      > Somebody had taken their PCB and used silicone to glue one edge to the
      > "back" of a chassis
      > and the opposite edge to the "bottom", thusly securing it and keeping
      > the PCB trace off of the
      > metal chassis.
      >
      > Randy

    • mark hubrich
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 25, 2013
        Depending what your glueing, I use a hot glue gun a lot for prototype
        stuff. It holds pretty good and forgiving enough to remove later if
        required.

        About the 3m structural adhesive... I had 3m send me a sample of their
        strongest stuff and tested it. I ask one of their engineers, "what if I
        need to remove it". Their response, "it wasn't designed for that, your
        going to need to grind it off".

        Check this out...
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRUvT28bHb4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

        This stuff is expensive.
        On Mar 25, 2013 12:32 AM, "Dave C" <davec2468@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Never use regular silicone sealer for use near electronics. The curing
        > agent is acetic acid which will corrode copper and other metals.
        >
        > There is silicone sealer specially formulated for electronics that doesn't
        > use acetic acid.
        >
        > Dave
        >
        > On Mar 24, 2013, at 5:47 PM, Randy wrote:
        >
        > > Good point! I saw a clever implementation of this once...
        > > Somebody had taken their PCB and used silicone to glue one edge to the
        > > "back" of a chassis
        > > and the opposite edge to the "bottom", thusly securing it and keeping
        > > the PCB trace off of the
        > > metal chassis.
        > >
        > > Randy

      • Bob Corder
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 25, 2013
          Get yourself a cheap Hot Glue Gun, a few sticks of the glue and have some
          fun.

          --
          Smile Every Day
          It Helps Your Face...

          Bob

        • Terrance
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 25, 2013
            Hot glue! It is so useful in R&D and while prototyping, it's a miracle material. "AcriLux" sticks work for stuff the regular sticks wont adhere to.

            I even modified one of my guns with a fine tip with a basketball inflator* (?) by tapping out the end of the gun's tip to fit. Great for small/fine work.

            *One of those little metal stems you put on an air pump to blow up balls and such (can't remember the proper name)

            -Terrance

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 25, 2013
              You can sometimes buy such guns with interchangeable threaded tips.
              I got two when they had them in the local discount store and modified
              one for adjustable temperature.

              It's best to get a gun with closed loop temperature control. They can
              be identified by a light that goes on as long as it is heating.
              Usually the "cordless" type that is put in a stand to heat up has the
              control, since it would get too hot otherwise.

              That said, I don't much like hot glue, been burnt too often, but it is
              a good option if you want something temporary and removable.
              There is a difference between the cheap sticks (they seem to be pretty
              much straight polyethylene) and the more expensive ones.

              ST

              On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Terrance <evilterrance@...> wrote:
              > Hot glue! It is so useful in R&D and while prototyping, it's a miracle material. "AcriLux" sticks work for stuff the regular sticks wont adhere to.
              >
              > I even modified one of my guns with a fine tip with a basketball inflator* (?) by tapping out the end of the gun's tip to fit. Great for small/fine work.
              >
              > *One of those little metal stems you put on an air pump to blow up balls and such (can't remember the proper name)
              >
              > -Terrance
            • Larry Beaty
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 25, 2013
                The most aggressive glue I use is the GE silicon rubber. I got a pewter mug
                glued to a piece of wood and I really suffered trying to get that mug off
                the wood!

                Of course in the glue is acidic acid so you never use it where bare copper
                is exposed. It will dissolve the copper over time. But to glue stuff, good
                stuff. And flexible so temperature expansion differences of materials is
                not a problem.

                Years ago I read that 3M used a glue to stick ceiling tiles up in the
                Chicago Airport. I said that will never work, 3M considered. Sure enough
                about three years later Chicago Airport ceiling tiles came down narrowly
                missing passengers. Some places glue is just not useable.

                Hot melt glue is another item. I wouldn't trust it to hold mechanically
                under constant tension. But just sticking two items together it is useable.

                You do know to squeeze all the glue out of the joint. It is not the glue
                that has the strength. Use as little glue in the joint as possible.
                Squeeze as much out as you can. Clamp parts togethere.

                That's what my experience tells me.

                Best wishes,

                Larry

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 25, 2013
                  yeah, some of it we used to glue airplanes together.

                  James M. Geidl, K6JMG
                  D.B. Cooper, you have a message.

                  Depending what your glueing, I use a hot glue gun a lot for prototype stuff.
                  It holds pretty good and forgiving enough to remove later if required.

                  About the 3m structural adhesive... I had 3m send me a sample of their
                  strongest stuff and tested it. I ask one of their engineers, "what if I need
                  to remove it". Their response, "it wasn't designed for that, your going to
                  need to grind it off".

                  Check this out...
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRUvT28bHb4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

                  This stuff is expensive.
                  On Mar 25, 2013 12:32 AM, "Dave C" <davec2468@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Never use regular silicone sealer for use near electronics. The curing
                  > agent is acetic acid which will corrode copper and other metals.
                  >
                  > There is silicone sealer specially formulated for electronics that
                  > doesn't use acetic acid.
                  >
                  > Dave
                  >
                  > On Mar 24, 2013, at 5:47 PM, Randy wrote:
                  >
                  > > Good point! I saw a clever implementation of this once...
                  > > Somebody had taken their PCB and used silicone to glue one edge to
                  > > the "back" of a chassis and the opposite edge to the "bottom",
                  > > thusly securing it and keeping the PCB trace off of the metal
                  > > chassis.
                  > >
                  > > Randy

                • Frank P
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 25, 2013
                    It wasn't clear to me from the OP what they were trying to stick together. I like to look here:

                    http://www.thistothat.com/

                    ...first, when I am working with unfamiliar materials and adhesives.

                    Frank P.

                    --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Dave C <davec2468@...> wrote:

                    > Never use regular silicone sealer for use near electronics. The curing agent is acetic acid which will corrode copper and other metals.
                    >
                    > There is silicone sealer specially formulated for electronics that doesn't use acetic acid.
                    >
                    > Dave
                    >
                    > On Mar 24, 2013, at 5:47 PM, Randy wrote:
                    >
                    > > Good point! I saw a clever implementation of this once...
                    > > Somebody had taken their PCB and used silicone to glue one edge to the
                    > > "back" of a chassis
                    > > and the opposite edge to the "bottom", thusly securing it and keeping
                    > > the PCB trace off of the
                    > > metal chassis.
                    > >
                    > > Randy

                  • Randy
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 25, 2013
                      I've never seen it done, but I think some 11 Meter SS amp "builders" use
                      hot glue and copper strips
                      to "make" circuit boards.

                      Randy

                      On 3/25/2013 9:22 AM, Bob Corder wrote:

                      > Get yourself a cheap Hot Glue Gun, a few sticks of the glue and have some
                      > fun.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Smile Every Day
                      > It Helps Your Face...