Re: [Electronics_101] Re: treadmill motor control

  • Donald H Locker
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 22, 2013
      The treadmill motor has a permanent magnet field, which requires DC on the rotor. The controller is suitable for universal motors with a wound field. The bridge rectifier you connected converted the phase-modulated AC output of the router controller to phase modulated DC, which makes the PM-field motor happy. There may be treadmill motors with wound fields, but I think they are uncommon.

      Donald.
      --
      *Plain Text* email -- it's an accessibility issue
      () no proprietary attachments; no html mail

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 23, 2013
        Ok , I got it now I think.It may have made the PM-field motor happy but it still was uncontrollable and had no torque---the reason being it did not have wound fields--correct? Thank you,James

        --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Donald H Locker <dhlocker@...> wrote:

        > The treadmill motor has a permanent magnet field, which requires DC on the rotor. The controller is suitable for universal motors with a wound field. The bridge rectifier you connected converted the phase-modulated AC output of the router controller to phase modulated DC, which makes the PM-field motor happy. There may be treadmill motors with wound fields, but I think they are uncommon.
        >
        > Donald.
        > --
        > *Plain Text* email -- it's an accessibility issue
        > () no proprietary attachments; no html mail
        > /\ ascii ribbon campaign - <www.asciiribbon.org>

      • Howard Hansen
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 23, 2013
          On 3/23/2013 4:33 PM, Nick wrote:

          > Ok , I got it now I think.It may have made the PM-field motor happy
          > but it still was uncontrollable and had no torque---the reason being
          > it did not have wound fields--correct? Thank you,James

          Are you saying when you used a bridge rectifier with the e-bay speed
          controller to control a treadmill motor you had no torque and the speed
          was uncontrollable?

          The other Howard

          > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:Electronics_101%40yahoogroups.com>, Donald H Locker
          > <dhlocker@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > The treadmill motor has a permanent magnet field, which requires DC
          > on the rotor. The controller is suitable for universal motors with a
          > wound field. The bridge rectifier you connected converted the
          > phase-modulated AC output of the router controller to phase modulated
          > DC, which makes the PM-field motor happy. There may be treadmill
          > motors with wound fields, but I think they are uncommon.
          > >
          > > Donald.
          > > --
          > > *Plain Text* email -- it's an accessibility issue
          > > () no proprietary attachments; no html mail
          > > /\ ascii ribbon campaign - <www.asciiribbon.org>

        • Jkirk3279
          Message 4 of 11 , May 22, 2013
            I took a look at that speed controller. I have one, and as far as I know it's just a rheostat in a box.

            It could adjust DC tools fairly well until the power level dropped too low for them to start, and AC tools not well at all.

            For pure resistive loads, it's fine. Dialing up a lightbulb, controlling a heating strip for bending plastic; perfect.

            But inductive loads, not so much.

            A PWM circuit could solve your problem, yes. Sending pulses of full-voltage DC will get the motor moving and the closer together the pulses are, the faster it will run.

            There's a thread here...http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=18895