RE: [Electronics_101] Re: old ammeter

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 51 , Mar 21, 2013
      In reading the thread, it sounds like you got the help you needed.

      Rick

      I have another question for you. The control board on our treadmill went out. I have done some tests and the motor is fine. It's a DC 120 volt brush type motor, it has a choke coil in series with the motor. I don't want to spend $120 for a new board unless I have too [ retired & fixed income].I ran the motor with a big ceramic ohmite pot of 68 ohms and then thru a bridge rectifier. The motor ran fine and I could control the speed but the pot got really hot which is understandable because of the iron coil. I found a router speed control on ebay that is good for 120 volt-15 amp--says it is good for any ac or dc motor brush type. What are your thoughts on using this as a speed control. Sent a pic of the motor data plate. Any help would be greatly appreciated Just remember I'm very elementary when it comes to electronics. By the way haven't got to my ammeter shunt yet but will get it.
      Thank you, James
    • Rick Sparber
      Message 51 of 51 , Mar 21, 2013