Re: [Electronics_101] Water waveforms

  • Jong Kung
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 20, 2013
      Perfect project for led lights and 555 oscillator. Of course the difficulty would be to getting the led to pulse in brief but bright manner to see motion stopped.

      Jong

      On Mar 20, 2013, at 5:09 AM, Stefan Trethan <stefan_trethan@...> wrote:

      > You could use a strobelight
    • Jong Kung
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 20, 2013
        The frame rate depends on the camera. Camera shooting for the old TV ntsc standard would use 29.97 fps. (And for Europe and asian TV standard it would be closer to 25 fps)

        I like the strobe idea. An experimenter can play with strobe freq vs speaker freq independently.

        Jong

      • jgeidl@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 20, 2013
          This just looks to me like the sound is causing the hose to move which, in turn, is causing the water to form the pattern. Is it actually making the water form the pattern? If so, I would think you could aim it at any stream of water and have the effect without attaching it to a speaker cabinet.

          Jim, K6JMG

          --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Dave C <davec2468@...> wrote:

          > http://www.sciencedump.com/content/amazing-water-sound-experiment
          >
          > video at the bottom.
          >
          > Dave

        • Jong Kung
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 20, 2013
            Yes, you can aim a camera at any stream of water and indeed there are other video doing so. But attaching the source of water to artificial source of vibration allows it to create such artificial pattern. Often other video online are just video of water dripping and creating streams of water drops. The most interesting thing about those videos is that the drops seems to suspend in mid air.

            Also in other videos, they often use a strobe like to adjust the freq of images captured to the natural freq of the water dripping. This method allow the experiment or to use 24 hz (the freq of camera) so it looks weird in that everything looks "natural" (like allot background, camers movement, etc) EXCEPT the water pattern.

            Jong

            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 20, 2013
              Can we hear that level of sound? I think I want to play with this a little.
              On Mar 20, 2013 4:11 PM, "Jong Kung" <jongkung01@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Yes, you can aim a camera at any stream of water and indeed there are
              > other video doing so. But attaching the source of water to artificial
              > source of vibration allows it to create such artificial pattern. Often
              > other video online are just video of water dripping and creating streams of
              > water drops. The most interesting thing about those videos is that the
              > drops seems to suspend in mid air.
              >
              > Also in other videos, they often use a strobe like to adjust the freq of
              > images captured to the natural freq of the water dripping. This method
              > allow the experiment or to use 24 hz (the freq of camera) so it looks weird
              > in that everything looks "natural" (like allot background, camers movement,
              > etc) EXCEPT the water pattern.
              >
              > Jong
              >
              > On Mar 20, 2013, at 9:38 AM, "jgeidl@...@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > This just looks to me like the sound is causing the hose to move which,
              > in turn, is causing the water to form the pattern. Is it actually making
              > the water form the pattern? If so, I would think you could aim it at any
              > stream of water and have the effect without attaching it to a speaker
              > cabinet.
              > >
              > > Jim, K6JMG
              > >
              > > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Dave C <davec2468@...> wrote:
              > >>
              > >> http://www.sciencedump.com/content/amazing-water-sound-experiment
              > >>
              > >> video at the bottom.
              > >>
              > >> Dave

            • jeremy youngs
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 20, 2013
                20 hz to 20Khz human hearing spetrum

                --
                jeremy youngs
              • mark hubrich
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 20, 2013
                  Thanks Jeremy.

                  Does the term 30 frames per second equal 30hz? I think the effect would be
                  much cooler if the speaker was putting out a frequency we cannot hear.

                  Wouldn't the power output have to be a bit high to move the water stream
                  that much.

                  Mark
                  On Mar 20, 2013 6:03 PM, "jeremy youngs" <jcyoungs76@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > 20 hz to 20Khz human hearing spetrum
                  >
                  > On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 6:59 PM, mark hubrich <meistro57@...> wrote:
                  > > Can we hear that level of sound? I think I want to play with this a
                  > little.
                  > > On Mar 20, 2013 4:11 PM, "Jong Kung" <jongkung01@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > --
                  > jeremy youngs

                • Jong Kung
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 20, 2013
                    I think Youl feel the sound if it was turned up enough.

                    Jong

                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 20, 2013
                      Mark,

                      Many home sound system are designed to be for sound above 20 hz. There might be filters to eliminate freq below this to minimize power loss. But then again you never know what your amplifier can do unless you try.

                      As for power output being bit high... I guessing but no. The water output was taped to the speaker so I'm guessing the vibration doesn't have to be transmitted through air first.

                      As with anything, your own experiment will answer most of these questions.

                      Jong

                      On Mar 20, 2013, at 1:27 PM, mark hubrich <meistro57@...> wrote:

                      > Does the term 30 frames per second equal 30hz? I think the effect would be
                      > much cooler if the speaker was putting out a frequency we cannot hear.
                      >
                      > Wouldn't the power output have to be a bit high to move the water stream
                      > that much.
                    • mark hubrich
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 20, 2013
                        Thanks Jong,
                        I couldn't resist so I pulled a speaker from an old home alarm system. I
                        hooked up this speaker before with the included circuit, it has a clear
                        plastic type cone. I disconnected it from the circuit and have it hooked to
                        an Arduino ramping up from 20hz to 200hz.

                        I poured water in to fill up the cone. When I ran the code, the water only
                        seem to create a visible vibration throughout a fairly small range.

                        Next I'm gonna print the value to the screen, add a pot for adjustment, and
                        find out what that range is. Then I'm gonna view it through my video can on
                        my Droid Razor.

                        If I'm still entertained by this I might upscale it to try out an old
                        Memphis Audio 12" subwoofer I have. I'm playing with the idea of placing
                        the sub under a bass drum head and putting liquid in that. I can still use
                        my arduino to put a tone on the input of an old Rockford Fosgate 600watt
                        amp I have laying here. Mabye even add some led pwm action if I'm still
                        monkeying around with it. My wife will probably call the white jacket guys
                        to haul me off since there is really no point behind making water fly
                        around with sound. I'll do it in the garage. :-)

                        Note, I figure this thread was started for the purpose of spawning up some
                        content. So I don't see it as hyjacking, in case someone else thinks
                        differently.

                        Is anyone else thinking of trying this stuff? It's pretty entertaining lol.

                        Mark
                        On Mar 20, 2013 7:33 PM, "Jong Kung" <jongkung01@...> wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > Mark,
                        >
                        > Many home sound system are designed to be for sound above 20 hz. There
                        > might be filters to eliminate freq below this to minimize power loss. But
                        > then again you never know what your amplifier can do unless you try.
                        >
                        > As for power output being bit high... I guessing but no. The water output
                        > was taped to the speaker so I'm guessing the vibration doesn't have to be
                        > transmitted through air first.
                        >
                        > As with anything, your own experiment will answer most of these questions.
                        >
                        > Jong
                        >
                        > On Mar 20, 2013, at 1:27 PM, mark hubrich <meistro57@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Does the term 30 frames per second equal 30hz? I think the effect would
                        > be
                        > > much cooler if the speaker was putting out a frequency we cannot hear.
                        > >
                        > > Wouldn't the power output have to be a bit high to move the water stream
                        > > that much.

                      • jeremy youngs
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 20, 2013
                          some people are just uptight
                          as for me go ahead knock yourself out :)

                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 20, 2013
                            Mark,

                            If I remember correctly from the video, the signal generator was attached to a home amplifier. Arduino might not put out enough power to move a speaker. Also the home amplifier is convenient way to pump up the amplitude.

                            I would like to hear more from your experiment. The signal generators usually have option of generating sine waves. It would be interesting to see the result of square waves.

                            Get your camera put and film it.

                            :-)

                            Jong

                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 20, 2013
                              > Is anyone else thinking of trying this stuff? It's pretty entertaining lol.
                              > Mark

                              As long as it sparks your curiosity, it was worth posting. You never know where it might lead...

                            • Jong Kung
                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 20, 2013
                                It's probably worth noting that if somebody wants to try this it should be done in bright light (like outside) so the camera can use sufficiently fast shutter to stop the motion of dropping water drops. Even though the camera might be shooting at 24 fps / 30 fps, in bright light each exposure is much shorter than 1/24 (or 1/30) of sec. To stop motion, the shorter exposure means less motion blur.

                                Jong

                                On Mar 20, 2013, at 5:55 PM, Dave C <davec2468@...> wrote:

                                >> Is anyone else thinking of trying this stuff? It's pretty entertaining lol.
                                >> Mark
                                >
                                > As long as it sparks your curiosity, it was worth posting. You never know where it might lead...
                                >
                                > Dave

                              • mark hubrich
                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 21, 2013
                                  Here's a quick video of that small speaker driven by the Arduino.

                                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KH1YCJ0t_8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

                                  I'm gonna try a larger scale for sure. :-). I have 1200 watts sitting here
                                  with nothing to do.

                                  Mark

                                  Mark

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 21, 2013
                                    Woops' it was on private. Its public now.
                                    On Mar 21, 2013 4:54 AM, "mark hubrich" <meistro57@...> wrote:

                                    > Here's a quick video of that small speaker driven by the Arduino.
                                    >
                                    > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KH1YCJ0t_8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
                                    >
                                    > I'm gonna try a larger scale for sure. :-). I have 1200 watts sitting
                                    > here with nothing to do.
                                    >
                                    > Mark
                                    >
                                    > Mark
                                    > On Mar 20, 2013 8:25 PM, "jeremy youngs" <jcyoungs76@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> **
                                    >>

                                    >> some people are just uptight
                                    >> as for me go ahead knock yourself out :)
                                    >>

                                    >> > Note, I figure this thread was started for the purpose of spawning up
                                    >> some
                                    >> > content. So I don't see it as hyjacking, in case someone else thinks
                                    >> > differently.
                                    >> >
                                    >> > Is anyone else thinking of trying this stuff? It's pretty entertaining
                                    >> lol.
                                    >> >
                                    >> > Mark
                                    >> > On Mar 20, 2013 7:33 PM, "Jong Kung" <jongkung01@...> wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >> --
                                    >> jeremy youngs

                                  • mark hubrich
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 22, 2013
                                      I tried another test by gluing a ping pong ball to the center of the cone.
                                      I glued a small hose to the ball. Since the speaker is small, and Arduino
                                      doesn't produce much power, the effect is minimal.

                                      I want to try a driver chip connected to a small coil. The coil has a
                                      little spring attached to an arm and travel is about 1/4 inch. I think it
                                      might enhance the effect a lot and reduce the noise. The one problem I
                                      might have is the arm might not move fast enough on the un charged return
                                      state.

                                      We'll see...
                                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwbTHvKk7jk&feature=youtube_gdata_player