Re: [Electronics_101] a few thoughts on digital scopes

  • jeremy youngs
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 4, 2013
      google linux o scope
      also it wouldnt surpise me to see someone with an i/o fpga card that does
      well as an o scope i am certain somewhere there ar repositories written
      that will do wave form analysis with an opto isolated parallel port
      i dont know what your requirements are I suspect the above thoughts are
      pretty novel and would lack really good bandwidth but i get by with qa 45
      tr old tue tektronix abnd a 30 yr old solid state ge but usually only use
      them for signal tracing and verification
      it does seem highly coincidental they dont have the scroll working either
      though that sounds like a definite hardware concern and may justify your
      original post and misgivings :)

      --
      jeremy youngs

    • owen_bda4
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 5, 2013
        Tue 3/05/2013 6:45 am. As a software kind-of guy I will opine that your DS-2150 *shouldn't* have time-base issues that have anything to do with the laptop it's plugged into. The program running on the PC should just display data from the gadget.

        Obviously, from your experience, this isn't true. Which suggests some kind of shortcuts were used to get more features from the gadget by trickery with the PC software. That the symptom appears at "1, 2, and 4 sec/div." pretty-much confirms the suspicions; it's nice to have those settings, but my ancient Real Oscilloscope Hitachi V-355 only goes up to .2 seconds. On the other hand, my OWON pds6062T goes up to TWENTY seconds! But the Owon is self-contained, so *their* hardware will, presumably, be up to snuff.

        So like when the patient complains about how it hurts when he lifts his arm, and the doctor tells him, "don't do that", I would suggest you just accept that your gadget doesn't really *have* those ranges, and move on. Or check if it actually works right on a fast recent laptop, and buy one of those.

        And I doubt that Textronix or HP or whatever they're called this week were so happy to update *their* scopes for engineering defects. Of course, they were perfect....

        And as you know, your gadget doesn't just need Linux drivers; an entire program is required, including whatever trickery is used to simulate the seconds setting.

        jgo * owenlabs.org
      • Rick Sparber
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 5, 2013
          Owen,

          I think you have given sage advice.

          Above 4 sec/div, the scope seems to work fine. Below 1 sec/div it must all
          be in the hardware because all seems well there. Those defective 1, 2 and 4
          sec/div rates are kind of like having a hang nail. My fingers continue to
          return to the rough spot until it is fixed. I have used the "roll mode" a
          lot, especially at 1 sec/div. Someone suggested the work around of using 10
          sec/div and then expand the trace later. I plan to try this out this
          morning. If it works, that would be an acceptable solution.

          The Linux software I was talking about is the entire package, not just
          drivers. But since they don't have the roll mode working either, I see no
          point in changing over.

          Thanks,

          Rick

          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 7, 2013
            At this time, I'm really interested in just having a reliable scope rather
            than going down the road of making one. Having used Tektronix scopes my
            entire professional life, it is hard for me to tolerate less. Yet, I am not
            willing to drop the money for a professional digital scope. So for now, I
            will sit tight and wait for the next time I need a scope. That need should
            help me decide what to do.

            From what I have learned about scroll mode, it is mostly in the PC based
            software. Being real time critical would make that a very difficult job to
            get right. The Rigol is self contained so should not have that problem. My
            search through YouTube turned up a few rather frustrated people looking for
            help from Rigol to address bugs or hardware defects. In no case was there a
            follow up note that the problem had been solved.

            Rick

            --
            jeremy youngs

          • Larry Beaty
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 7, 2013
              I used to work at a lab that had two Hameg HM305 digital solid state 30 MHz
              scopes. We all loved those Hamegs, they were good scopes.

              Years later, I was able to buy one used off Ebay. Again, I just love this
              scope. I caught the start-up current of my water pump. Only way to catch
              that.

              There is a Hameg office in USA. Manual copies are available and in good
              English.

              My simple recommendation.

              Larry

            • Rick Sparber
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 7, 2013
                Larry,

                I read up on the Hameg HM305 but had trouble finding specs. As far as I can
                tell, it does not output to .jpg files. I do a lot of writing and need that
                ability. From what I could see, it must be a very good scope because if when
                sold AS-IS, the price is still high. I did see this one

                http://www.hameg.com/710.0.html?L=0

                but was stopped when they didn't even post a price. "If you have to ask, you
                can't afford it..."

                Thanks,

                Rick