Re: Prototyping surface mount circuits

  • revelation.designs
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 1, 2013
      Now that sounds like a brilliant idea. I hope you get it right.
      Any idea of what resolution you can reliably achieve (track thickness and inter-track spacing ?
      Regards to all,
      Dave

      --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Derek <derek@...> wrote:

      > Most printers are inkjet and will not work for copper board etching
      > since the ink will come off with water. Best to use an exposure method
      > or a dry transfer option such as Pulsar's Toner Transfer System. The
      > later will require a mirror-image and I have used for a few years. The
      > toner transfer is nice, but I always find small holes in it and it
      > usually needs some touch-up before etching.
      >
      > However....
      >
      > How would you folks take if I could offer a product that you can print,
      > using a laser printer or the local Kinko's copier. No mirror-image
      > needed. The idea is to print to a sheet that is flexible and has copper
      > on it. Then etch. Thus eliminating the straight-thu print option. To
      > stiffen the board, you just add a backing of some type. I just had an
      > idea, but I need to test it out first. I have to get the materials and
      > do some playing.
      >
      > Derek Koonce
      > DDK Interactive Consulting Services
      >

      > On 2/28/2013 7:58 AM, Terrance wrote:
      >
      > > Maybe one of those little printers for printing directly onto a CD?
      > > Those are rigid and about the same thickness as PCBs.
      > >
      > > -Terrance
      > >
      > > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com
      > > <mailto:Electronics_101%40yahoogroups.com>, "Naresh" wrote:
      > >
      > > > Does anyone know, are there any cheap printers that can print
      > > directly onto a hard flat copper board?
      > > >
      > > > Naresh

    • Naresh
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 1, 2013
        Steve,

        Thanks for the link, very helpful!

        It seems like Terrance's idea about using a CD label printer can work also. I'm not making a board larger than a CD.

        Naresh
        AF5IE

        --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "AlienRelics" <alienrelics@...> wrote:

        > If you can solve the problem of getting it through the heads, it sounds promising.
        >
        > There are some tips on getting liquids to wet nonporous surfaces in an inkjet printer here:
        >
        > Steve Greenfield AE7HD
        >
        > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Naresh" <narivasant@> wrote:
        > >
        > > There is no etching involved in what I'm proposing. The silver ink would have the silver solidify out of the ink as the liquid ink evaporates. Like this guy did:
        > >
        > > http://jordanbunker.com/archives/41
        > >
        > > http://colloids.matse.illinois.edu/articles/walker_jacs_2011.pdf
        > >
        > > Naresh

      • Naresh
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 1, 2013
          I found what looks like it will work the best for me, for the short term:

          http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~pharden/hobby/HG-MANHAT2.pdf

          Naresh
        • Frank Mead
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 1, 2013
            I have used this type of construction on many projects...including up to
            1 ghz...of course at that high freq. one has to keep components tight...
            have fun,
            Frank