RE: [Electronics_101] How to solder very thin stranded wire

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 21, 2013
      Dave,

      Coat the wire with flux. Then twist those fine threads tight. And finally,
      gently heat with soldering iron and tin.

      If you have a lot of wire to tin, dip the wire in molten flux and molten
      solder.

      Rick

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 21, 2013
        I fill a thimble or bottlecap with denatured alcohol and light it. Use the flame to quickly burn off the fibers and more importantly the enamel on the wires. As soon as the wires start glowing I quench them in the liquid alcohol below. This seems to anneal the wires, making them far less brittle when you go to solder them. I have an assembly at work that requires this, I've done hundreds...it works great!

        -Terrance