How to solder very thin stranded wire

  • Dave C
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 20 9:30 PM
      This is one conductor in a cable from some iPod earphones:

      http://www.tinyuploads.com/images/mizPu4.jpg

      What is the best way to deal with the fibre strands and tin the wires?

      Thanks,
      Dave
    • Leon Heller
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 21 1:09 AM
        On 21/02/2013 05:30, Dave C wrote:
        > This is one conductor in a cable from some iPod earphones:
        >
        > http://www.tinyuploads.com/images/mizPu4.jpg
        >
        > What is the best way to deal with the fibre strands and tin the wires?

        Burn the end of the wire to remove the fibre. You should then be able to
        tin it.

        Leon
        --
        Leon Heller
        G1HSM
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 21 5:12 AM
          Dave,

          Coat the wire with flux. Then twist those fine threads tight. And finally,
          gently heat with soldering iron and tin.

          If you have a lot of wire to tin, dip the wire in molten flux and molten
          solder.

          Rick

          > This is one conductor in a cable from some iPod earphones:
          >
          > http://www.tinyuploads.com/images/mizPu4.jpg
          >
          > What is the best way to deal with the fibre strands and tin the wires?

          Burn the end of the wire to remove the fibre. You should then be able to tin
          it.

          Leon
          --
          Leon Heller
          G1HSM

        • Terrance
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 21 8:15 AM
            I fill a thimble or bottlecap with denatured alcohol and light it. Use the flame to quickly burn off the fibers and more importantly the enamel on the wires. As soon as the wires start glowing I quench them in the liquid alcohol below. This seems to anneal the wires, making them far less brittle when you go to solder them. I have an assembly at work that requires this, I've done hundreds...it works great!

            -Terrance