Re: [Electronics_101] Floating Voltage Problem on Multi-meter

  • jeremy youngs
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
      what kind of voltage are you checking?
      three phase will have a wild leg and if our meter does not have a fast
      enough sampling rate it will not read correctly

      On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 2:07 PM, DaveC <davec2468@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Its a DVM.
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On Feb 20, 2013, at 10:56 AM, "Larry Beaty" lbeaty@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Try discharging meter face electrostatic charge. Wipe face with wet cloth
      > > or aluminum foil.
      > >

      > > Larry

      jeremy youngs

    • Larry Beaty
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
        Opps!

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
          Ok, here is the latest update. I took it back apart again and left the battery hooked up. I did a continuity check and the leads seemed to work perfect. I then took both the fuses out and did checks and both seem perfect. I put them back in and then did a check on the battery while it was still plug in. And this time to my surprise it measured ok, but measured 6v for a 9v battery. I thought this was a new battery but apparently it got mixed up with my new batteries. I put an another battery (good one) and now it seems fine. The orginal battery must have been in there maybe 5-8 years. I was really confused when it when bad because I was troubleshooting a solar panel at the time. It started at 28 volts and then fell to about 18 volts and then went crazy. I thought 'what the !@#$%'. I think its back to normal.

          --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Beaty" <lbeaty@...> wrote:

          > Opps!

        • Rick Sparber
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
            Damn! I forgot to ask all of the dumb questions. Glad you figured it out.

            Rick