Re: [Electronics_101] Floating Voltage Problem on Multi-meter

  • DaveC
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
      Its a DVM.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Feb 20, 2013, at 10:56 AM, "Larry Beaty" <lbeaty@...> wrote:

      > Try discharging meter face electrostatic charge. Wipe face with wet cloth
      > or aluminum foil.
      >

      > Larry

    • jeremy youngs
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
        what kind of voltage are you checking?
        three phase will have a wild leg and if our meter does not have a fast
        enough sampling rate it will not read correctly

        On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 2:07 PM, DaveC <davec2468@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Its a DVM.
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone
        >
        > On Feb 20, 2013, at 10:56 AM, "Larry Beaty" lbeaty@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Try discharging meter face electrostatic charge. Wipe face with wet cloth
        > > or aluminum foil.
        > >

        > > Larry

        jeremy youngs

      • Larry Beaty
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
          Opps!

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
            Ok, here is the latest update. I took it back apart again and left the battery hooked up. I did a continuity check and the leads seemed to work perfect. I then took both the fuses out and did checks and both seem perfect. I put them back in and then did a check on the battery while it was still plug in. And this time to my surprise it measured ok, but measured 6v for a 9v battery. I thought this was a new battery but apparently it got mixed up with my new batteries. I put an another battery (good one) and now it seems fine. The orginal battery must have been in there maybe 5-8 years. I was really confused when it when bad because I was troubleshooting a solar panel at the time. It started at 28 volts and then fell to about 18 volts and then went crazy. I thought 'what the !@#$%'. I think its back to normal.

            --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Beaty" <lbeaty@...> wrote:

            > Opps!

          • Rick Sparber
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
              Damn! I forgot to ask all of the dumb questions. Glad you figured it out.

              Rick