RE: [Electronics_101] Floating Voltage Problem on Multi-meter

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
      Dave,

      The fuse is only involved with current measurements AFAIK.

      Rick

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
        Try discharging meter face electrostatic charge. Wipe face with wet cloth
        or aluminum foil.

        Larry

        Replace thr fuses and see if you see the symptoms. A fuse can seem good when
        tested but misbehave in circuit.

        Also when shorting probes in continuity mode wiggle the plugs (where the
        probes plug into the meter). Might be a bad solder joint there.

        That meter gets some good reviews...

        Dave

        > I have an older Radio Shack Multi-meter, (Cat no 22-812) that can not read
        > voltage right. It goes crazy we it sees voltage and jumps around and can
        > stop and see it for a 1/10 of a second, and then goes crazy again jumping
        > all over. I tried the battery, fuse, and bypassing the leads, but nothing
        > seems to help. Has anyone see anything like this? Is there any hope for
        it?

        > Travis

      • DaveC
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
          Its a DVM.

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Feb 20, 2013, at 10:56 AM, "Larry Beaty" <lbeaty@...> wrote:

          > Try discharging meter face electrostatic charge. Wipe face with wet cloth
          > or aluminum foil.
          >

          > Larry

        • jeremy youngs
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
            what kind of voltage are you checking?
            three phase will have a wild leg and if our meter does not have a fast
            enough sampling rate it will not read correctly

            On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 2:07 PM, DaveC <davec2468@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Its a DVM.
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On Feb 20, 2013, at 10:56 AM, "Larry Beaty" lbeaty@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Try discharging meter face electrostatic charge. Wipe face with wet cloth
            > > or aluminum foil.
            > >

            > > Larry

            jeremy youngs

          • Larry Beaty
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
              Opps!

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
                Ok, here is the latest update. I took it back apart again and left the battery hooked up. I did a continuity check and the leads seemed to work perfect. I then took both the fuses out and did checks and both seem perfect. I put them back in and then did a check on the battery while it was still plug in. And this time to my surprise it measured ok, but measured 6v for a 9v battery. I thought this was a new battery but apparently it got mixed up with my new batteries. I put an another battery (good one) and now it seems fine. The orginal battery must have been in there maybe 5-8 years. I was really confused when it when bad because I was troubleshooting a solar panel at the time. It started at 28 volts and then fell to about 18 volts and then went crazy. I thought 'what the !@#$%'. I think its back to normal.

                --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Beaty" <lbeaty@...> wrote:

                > Opps!

              • Rick Sparber
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
                  Damn! I forgot to ask all of the dumb questions. Glad you figured it out.

                  Rick