Re: [Electronics_101] Floating Voltage Problem on Multi-meter

  • DaveC
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
      Rick
      Replace thr fuses and see if you see the symptoms. A fuse can seem good when tested but misbehave in circuit.

      Also when shorting probes in continuity mode wiggle the plugs (where the probes plug into the meter). Might be a bad solder joint there.

      That meter gets some good reviews...

      Dave

      > I have an older Radio Shack Multi-meter, (Cat no 22-812) that can not read
      > voltage right. It goes crazy we it sees voltage and jumps around and can
      > stop and see it for a 1/10 of a second, and then goes crazy again jumping
      > all over. I tried the battery, fuse, and bypassing the leads, but nothing
      > seems to help. Has anyone see anything like this? Is there any hope for it?
      >
      > Travis

    • Rick Sparber
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
        Dave,

        The fuse is only involved with current measurements AFAIK.

        Rick

        Replace thr fuses and see if you see the symptoms. A fuse can seem good when
        tested but misbehave in circuit.

        Also when shorting probes in continuity mode wiggle the plugs (where the
        probes plug into the meter). Might be a bad solder joint there.

        That meter gets some good reviews...

        Dave

        > I have an older Radio Shack Multi-meter, (Cat no 22-812) that can not
        > read voltage right. It goes crazy we it sees voltage and jumps around
        > and can stop and see it for a 1/10 of a second, and then goes crazy
        > again jumping all over. I tried the battery, fuse, and bypassing the
        > leads, but nothing seems to help. Has anyone see anything like this? Is
        there any hope for it?

        > Travis

      • Larry Beaty
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
          Try discharging meter face electrostatic charge. Wipe face with wet cloth
          or aluminum foil.

          Larry

          Replace thr fuses and see if you see the symptoms. A fuse can seem good when
          tested but misbehave in circuit.

          Also when shorting probes in continuity mode wiggle the plugs (where the
          probes plug into the meter). Might be a bad solder joint there.

          That meter gets some good reviews...

          Dave

          > I have an older Radio Shack Multi-meter, (Cat no 22-812) that can not read
          > voltage right. It goes crazy we it sees voltage and jumps around and can
          > stop and see it for a 1/10 of a second, and then goes crazy again jumping
          > all over. I tried the battery, fuse, and bypassing the leads, but nothing
          > seems to help. Has anyone see anything like this? Is there any hope for
          it?

          > Travis

        • DaveC
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
            Its a DVM.

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Feb 20, 2013, at 10:56 AM, "Larry Beaty" <lbeaty@...> wrote:

            > Try discharging meter face electrostatic charge. Wipe face with wet cloth
            > or aluminum foil.
            >

            > Larry

          • jeremy youngs
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
              what kind of voltage are you checking?
              three phase will have a wild leg and if our meter does not have a fast
              enough sampling rate it will not read correctly

              On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 2:07 PM, DaveC <davec2468@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Its a DVM.
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone
              >
              > On Feb 20, 2013, at 10:56 AM, "Larry Beaty" lbeaty@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Try discharging meter face electrostatic charge. Wipe face with wet cloth
              > > or aluminum foil.
              > >

              > > Larry

              jeremy youngs

            • Larry Beaty
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
                Opps!

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
                  Ok, here is the latest update. I took it back apart again and left the battery hooked up. I did a continuity check and the leads seemed to work perfect. I then took both the fuses out and did checks and both seem perfect. I put them back in and then did a check on the battery while it was still plug in. And this time to my surprise it measured ok, but measured 6v for a 9v battery. I thought this was a new battery but apparently it got mixed up with my new batteries. I put an another battery (good one) and now it seems fine. The orginal battery must have been in there maybe 5-8 years. I was really confused when it when bad because I was troubleshooting a solar panel at the time. It started at 28 volts and then fell to about 18 volts and then went crazy. I thought 'what the !@#$%'. I think its back to normal.

                  --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Beaty" <lbeaty@...> wrote:

                  > Opps!

                • Rick Sparber
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
                    Damn! I forgot to ask all of the dumb questions. Glad you figured it out.

                    Rick