RE: [Electronics_101] Floating Voltage Problem on Multi-meter

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 20 6:25 AM
      Travis,

      Try connecting the probes together and set the meter on ohms. Then wiggle
      the probe wires.

      Rick

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 20 8:21 AM
        Rick
        Replace thr fuses and see if you see the symptoms. A fuse can seem good when tested but misbehave in circuit.

        Also when shorting probes in continuity mode wiggle the plugs (where the probes plug into the meter). Might be a bad solder joint there.

        That meter gets some good reviews...

        Dave

        > I have an older Radio Shack Multi-meter, (Cat no 22-812) that can not read
        > voltage right. It goes crazy we it sees voltage and jumps around and can
        > stop and see it for a 1/10 of a second, and then goes crazy again jumping
        > all over. I tried the battery, fuse, and bypassing the leads, but nothing
        > seems to help. Has anyone see anything like this? Is there any hope for it?
        >
        > Travis

      • Rick Sparber
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 20 9:04 AM
          Dave,

          The fuse is only involved with current measurements AFAIK.

          Rick

          Replace thr fuses and see if you see the symptoms. A fuse can seem good when
          tested but misbehave in circuit.

          Also when shorting probes in continuity mode wiggle the plugs (where the
          probes plug into the meter). Might be a bad solder joint there.

          That meter gets some good reviews...

          Dave

          > I have an older Radio Shack Multi-meter, (Cat no 22-812) that can not
          > read voltage right. It goes crazy we it sees voltage and jumps around
          > and can stop and see it for a 1/10 of a second, and then goes crazy
          > again jumping all over. I tried the battery, fuse, and bypassing the
          > leads, but nothing seems to help. Has anyone see anything like this? Is
          there any hope for it?

          > Travis

        • Larry Beaty
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 20 10:56 AM
            Try discharging meter face electrostatic charge. Wipe face with wet cloth
            or aluminum foil.

            Larry

            Replace thr fuses and see if you see the symptoms. A fuse can seem good when
            tested but misbehave in circuit.

            Also when shorting probes in continuity mode wiggle the plugs (where the
            probes plug into the meter). Might be a bad solder joint there.

            That meter gets some good reviews...

            Dave

            > I have an older Radio Shack Multi-meter, (Cat no 22-812) that can not read
            > voltage right. It goes crazy we it sees voltage and jumps around and can
            > stop and see it for a 1/10 of a second, and then goes crazy again jumping
            > all over. I tried the battery, fuse, and bypassing the leads, but nothing
            > seems to help. Has anyone see anything like this? Is there any hope for
            it?

            > Travis

          • DaveC
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 20 11:07 AM
              Its a DVM.

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Feb 20, 2013, at 10:56 AM, "Larry Beaty" <lbeaty@...> wrote:

              > Try discharging meter face electrostatic charge. Wipe face with wet cloth
              > or aluminum foil.
              >

              > Larry

            • jeremy youngs
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 20 11:10 AM
                what kind of voltage are you checking?
                three phase will have a wild leg and if our meter does not have a fast
                enough sampling rate it will not read correctly

                On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 2:07 PM, DaveC <davec2468@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Its a DVM.
                >
                > Sent from my iPhone
                >
                > On Feb 20, 2013, at 10:56 AM, "Larry Beaty" lbeaty@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Try discharging meter face electrostatic charge. Wipe face with wet cloth
                > > or aluminum foil.
                > >

                > > Larry

                jeremy youngs

              • Larry Beaty
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 20 11:15 AM
                  Opps!

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 20 4:36 PM
                    Ok, here is the latest update. I took it back apart again and left the battery hooked up. I did a continuity check and the leads seemed to work perfect. I then took both the fuses out and did checks and both seem perfect. I put them back in and then did a check on the battery while it was still plug in. And this time to my surprise it measured ok, but measured 6v for a 9v battery. I thought this was a new battery but apparently it got mixed up with my new batteries. I put an another battery (good one) and now it seems fine. The orginal battery must have been in there maybe 5-8 years. I was really confused when it when bad because I was troubleshooting a solar panel at the time. It started at 28 volts and then fell to about 18 volts and then went crazy. I thought 'what the !@#$%'. I think its back to normal.

                    --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Beaty" <lbeaty@...> wrote:

                    > Opps!

                  • Rick Sparber
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 20 6:07 PM
                      Damn! I forgot to ask all of the dumb questions. Glad you figured it out.

                      Rick