Floating Voltage Problem on Multi-meter

  • travispaul69
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
      Hi all,

      I have an older Radio Shack Multi-meter, (Cat no 22-812) that can not read voltage right. It goes crazy we it sees voltage and jumps around and can stop and see it for a 1/10 of a second, and then goes crazy again jumping all over. I tried the battery, fuse, and bypassing the leads, but nothing seems to help. Has anyone see anything like this? Is there any hope for it?

      Travis
    • Rick Sparber
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
        Travis,

        Try connecting the probes together and set the meter on ohms. Then wiggle
        the probe wires.

        Rick

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
          Rick
          Replace thr fuses and see if you see the symptoms. A fuse can seem good when tested but misbehave in circuit.

          Also when shorting probes in continuity mode wiggle the plugs (where the probes plug into the meter). Might be a bad solder joint there.

          That meter gets some good reviews...

          Dave

          > I have an older Radio Shack Multi-meter, (Cat no 22-812) that can not read
          > voltage right. It goes crazy we it sees voltage and jumps around and can
          > stop and see it for a 1/10 of a second, and then goes crazy again jumping
          > all over. I tried the battery, fuse, and bypassing the leads, but nothing
          > seems to help. Has anyone see anything like this? Is there any hope for it?
          >
          > Travis

        • Rick Sparber
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
            Dave,

            The fuse is only involved with current measurements AFAIK.

            Rick

            Replace thr fuses and see if you see the symptoms. A fuse can seem good when
            tested but misbehave in circuit.

            Also when shorting probes in continuity mode wiggle the plugs (where the
            probes plug into the meter). Might be a bad solder joint there.

            That meter gets some good reviews...

            Dave

            > I have an older Radio Shack Multi-meter, (Cat no 22-812) that can not
            > read voltage right. It goes crazy we it sees voltage and jumps around
            > and can stop and see it for a 1/10 of a second, and then goes crazy
            > again jumping all over. I tried the battery, fuse, and bypassing the
            > leads, but nothing seems to help. Has anyone see anything like this? Is
            there any hope for it?

            > Travis

          • Larry Beaty
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
              Try discharging meter face electrostatic charge. Wipe face with wet cloth
              or aluminum foil.

              Larry

              Replace thr fuses and see if you see the symptoms. A fuse can seem good when
              tested but misbehave in circuit.

              Also when shorting probes in continuity mode wiggle the plugs (where the
              probes plug into the meter). Might be a bad solder joint there.

              That meter gets some good reviews...

              Dave

              > I have an older Radio Shack Multi-meter, (Cat no 22-812) that can not read
              > voltage right. It goes crazy we it sees voltage and jumps around and can
              > stop and see it for a 1/10 of a second, and then goes crazy again jumping
              > all over. I tried the battery, fuse, and bypassing the leads, but nothing
              > seems to help. Has anyone see anything like this? Is there any hope for
              it?

              > Travis

            • DaveC
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
                Its a DVM.

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Feb 20, 2013, at 10:56 AM, "Larry Beaty" <lbeaty@...> wrote:

                > Try discharging meter face electrostatic charge. Wipe face with wet cloth
                > or aluminum foil.
                >

                > Larry

              • jeremy youngs
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
                  what kind of voltage are you checking?
                  three phase will have a wild leg and if our meter does not have a fast
                  enough sampling rate it will not read correctly

                  On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 2:07 PM, DaveC <davec2468@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Its a DVM.
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPhone
                  >
                  > On Feb 20, 2013, at 10:56 AM, "Larry Beaty" lbeaty@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Try discharging meter face electrostatic charge. Wipe face with wet cloth
                  > > or aluminum foil.
                  > >

                  > > Larry

                  jeremy youngs

                • Larry Beaty
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
                    Opps!

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
                      Ok, here is the latest update. I took it back apart again and left the battery hooked up. I did a continuity check and the leads seemed to work perfect. I then took both the fuses out and did checks and both seem perfect. I put them back in and then did a check on the battery while it was still plug in. And this time to my surprise it measured ok, but measured 6v for a 9v battery. I thought this was a new battery but apparently it got mixed up with my new batteries. I put an another battery (good one) and now it seems fine. The orginal battery must have been in there maybe 5-8 years. I was really confused when it when bad because I was troubleshooting a solar panel at the time. It started at 28 volts and then fell to about 18 volts and then went crazy. I thought 'what the !@#$%'. I think its back to normal.

                      --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Beaty" <lbeaty@...> wrote:

                      > Opps!

                    • Rick Sparber
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
                        Damn! I forgot to ask all of the dumb questions. Glad you figured it out.

                        Rick