max 197 + zener curiousity

  • Yan Seiner
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 19, 2013
      I have a Max 197 AD connected as follows:

      Source - 47KOhm - + - MAX197

      zener

      ground

      With the source disconnected, the Max 197 reads about .22V.

      With it connected to a voltage source, it reads about what I expect (3.38V
      @ 12V source).

      Why would the MAX197 read a voltage with no voltage input? The other pins
      read 0.0 when disconnected; only the two connected to the zener show this
      weird voltage.
    • Derek
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 19, 2013
        What is the purpose of the zener on the ground leg? Is it to raise the
        level of conversion? Sounds to me to be an application issue somehow
        with the IC trying to read a negative input voltage - 0V instead of the
        zener-level as the '0'.

        Derek Koonce
        DDK Interactive Consulting Services

        On 2/19/2013 9:04 AM, Yan Seiner wrote:

        > I have a Max 197 AD connected as follows:
        >
        > Source - 47KOhm - + - MAX197
        > |
        > zener
        > |
        > ground
        >
        > With the source disconnected, the Max 197 reads about .22V.
        >
        > With it connected to a voltage source, it reads about what I expect (3.38V
        > @ 12V source).
        >
        > Why would the MAX197 read a voltage with no voltage input? The other pins
        > read 0.0 when disconnected; only the two connected to the zener show this
        > weird voltage.

      • Yan Seiner
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 19, 2013
          On Tue, February 19, 2013 10:50 am, Derek wrote:
          > What is the purpose of the zener on the ground leg? Is it to raise the
          > level of conversion? Sounds to me to be an application issue somehow
          > with the IC trying to read a negative input voltage - 0V instead of the
          > zener-level as the '0'.

          The ascii art didn't quite turn out; the zener is on the input leg between
          the 47KOhm resistor and the chip (where the + sign in my diagram). Its
          purpose is to limit load dumps (this is in an automotive application so
          voltages can spike to 70V).

          Any spike over 5V gets dumped to ground.

          --
        • Derek
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 19, 2013
            Ahh, that makes sense. What you are seeing is a floating input voltage.
            The zener has a high impedance to ground if not above the breakdown
            voltage. Properly, you can add a 1MEG to ground, parallel to the zener
            and that should set the input voltage to 0 and not affect the connected
            reading to any major concern.

            On 2/19/2013 11:04 AM, Yan Seiner wrote:

            > On Tue, February 19, 2013 10:50 am, Derek wrote:
            > > What is the purpose of the zener on the ground leg? Is it to raise the
            > > level of conversion? Sounds to me to be an application issue somehow
            > > with the IC trying to read a negative input voltage - 0V instead of the
            > > zener-level as the '0'.
            >
            > The ascii art didn't quite turn out; the zener is on the input leg between
            > the 47KOhm resistor and the chip (where the + sign in my diagram). Its
            > purpose is to limit load dumps (this is in an automotive application so
            > voltages can spike to 70V).
            >
            > Any spike over 5V gets dumped to ground.
            >

            > > Derek Koonce
            > > DDK Interactive Consulting Services
            > >

            > > On 2/19/2013 9:04 AM, Yan Seiner wrote:
            > >>
            > >> I have a Max 197 AD connected as follows:
            > >>
            > >> Source - 47KOhm - + - MAX197
            > >> |
            > >> zener
            > >> |
            > >> ground
            > >>
            > >> With the source disconnected, the Max 197 reads about .22V.
            > >>
            > >> With it connected to a voltage source, it reads about what I expect
            > >> (3.38V
            > >> @ 12V source).
            > >>
            > >> Why would the MAX197 read a voltage with no voltage input? The other
            > >> pins
            > >> read 0.0 when disconnected; only the two connected to the zener show
            > >> this
            > >> weird voltage.

            > > !DSPAM:5123cb97114941804284693!
            > >

            > --

          • Yan Seiner
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 19, 2013
              On Tue, February 19, 2013 11:04 am, Yan Seiner wrote:

              > On Tue, February 19, 2013 10:50 am, Derek wrote:
              >> What is the purpose of the zener on the ground leg? Is it to raise the
              >> level of conversion? Sounds to me to be an application issue somehow
              >> with the IC trying to read a negative input voltage - 0V instead of the
              >> zener-level as the '0'.
              >
              > The ascii art didn't quite turn out; the zener is on the input leg between
              > the 47KOhm resistor and the chip (where the + sign in my diagram). Its
              > purpose is to limit load dumps (this is in an automotive application so
              > voltages can spike to 70V).

              To clarify: the zener is connected from the + sign to ground.

              Source - 47KOhm - + - MAX197
              . |
              . zener
              . |
              . ground
            • Yan Seiner
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 19, 2013
                OK, will do.

                Thanks!

                --Yan

                --
              • Kerim F
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 19, 2013
                  I usually got such weird (induced and rectified) voltages when a non linear device is almost open circuited and if the testing wires are somehow long hence acting as receiving antenna ;)