Re: [Electronics_101] Lithium ion battery rating

  • Frank Mead
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 18, 2013
      It will come to you not fully charged...charge it for 10 hours and give it
      a try...
      good advice howard.

      On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Howard Hansen <hrhan@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > On 2/18/2013 6:56 AM, normnet2003 wrote:
      > >
      > > I recently purchased the following battery:
      > >
      > http://www.ebay.com/itm/6800mAh-DC-12V-Super-Rechargeable-Lithium-ion-Battery-Energy-Storage-Pack-/230806115118?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item35bd1dd32e
      > >

      > > I planed to use it to power a device requiring 12 volts at 4 amps for
      > > 10-20 minutes however their doesn't seem to be any power when I plug
      > > the 4 amp device to the battery as opposed to plugging it into the
      > > car's 12 power supply.
      > >
      > > I thought 6800 ma meant 6.8 amps for one hour?
      > > What lithium ion battery rating should I order for a 12 volt 4 amp
      > > 10-20 minute requirement?
      > >
      > > Norm
      > >
      > > __
      >
      > I see the battery comes with a built in on-off switch. By any chance did
      > you forget to turn the battery on?
      >
      > The other Howard

    • Larry Beaty
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 18, 2013
        A battery rated for 6800 MAhr or 6.8 Ahr really means it will put out 680 mA
        for 10 hours. That is how they cheat. In one hour, It may put out only 5.2
        Amps for the hour. Specsmanship! Ain't it great!

        Larry

        On 2/18/2013 6:56 AM, normnet2003 wrote:

        > I recently purchased the following battery:

        http://www.ebay.com/itm/6800mAh-DC-12V-Super-Rechargeable-Lithium-ion-Batter
        y-Energy-Storage-Pack-/230806115118?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries
        <http://www.ebay.com/itm/6800mAh-DC-12V-Super-Rechargeable-Lithium-ion-Batte
        ry-Energy-Storage-Pack-/230806115118?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item3
        5bd1dd32e> &hash=item35bd1dd32e

        > I planed to use it to power a device requiring 12 volts at 4 amps for
        > 10-20 minutes however their doesn't seem to be any power when I plug
        > the 4 amp device to the battery as opposed to plugging it into the
        > car's 12 power supply.
        >
        > I thought 6800 ma meant 6.8 amps for one hour?
        > What lithium ion battery rating should I order for a 12 volt 4 amp
        > 10-20 minute requirement?
        >
        > Norm
        >
        > __

        I see the battery comes with a built in on-off switch. By any chance did
        you forget to turn the battery on?

        The other Howard

      • normnet2003
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 18, 2013
          I'll try charging it again just in case.

          Norm

          --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Frank Mead <wa6ujj@...> wrote:

          > It will come to you not fully charged...charge it for 10 hours and give it
          > a try...
          > good advice howard.
          >

          > On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Howard Hansen <hrhan@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > On 2/18/2013 6:56 AM, normnet2003 wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I recently purchased the following battery:
          > > >
          > > http://www.ebay.com/itm/6800mAh-DC-12V-Super-Rechargeable-Lithium-ion-Battery-Energy-Storage-Pack-/230806115118?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item35bd1dd32e
          > > >

          > > > I planed to use it to power a device requiring 12 volts at 4 amps for
          > > > 10-20 minutes however their doesn't seem to be any power when I plug
          > > > the 4 amp device to the battery as opposed to plugging it into the
          > > > car's 12 power supply.
          > > >
          > > > I thought 6800 ma meant 6.8 amps for one hour?
          > > > What lithium ion battery rating should I order for a 12 volt 4 amp
          > > > 10-20 minute requirement?
          > > >
          > > > Norm
          > > >
          > > > __
          > >
          > > I see the battery comes with a built in on-off switch. By any chance did
          > > you forget to turn the battery on?
          > >
          > > The other Howard

        • Andrew Mathison (Alice)
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 19, 2013
            I don't think discharging at close to the one hour rate to be a good idea.
            If there is a temperature sensor in the battery pack (there should be!) it
            will probably open the circuit quite quickly, even before you feel the
            temperature rise outside of the casing.....but maybe 5 minutes later......

            The supplier should be in a position to tell you what the maximum discharge
            current could be, but don't be surprised if it's only 680ma......

            Also, new batteries might need to be charged/discharged several times before
            full capacity is reached....depending upon chemistry and manufacturer....

            Remember, the 6800ma is the quoted capacity, not the discharge
            rate.....major difference.....

            Regards

            Andy
          • normnet2003
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 19, 2013
              I let the battery charge for 24 hours with the switch on but no luck.
              Today I did an online chat with the enjoydeal store website and they replied the max amp draw is about 1.5

              I am going to look into RC batteries as Stephan said they are typically meant for higher output.

              Norm