Re: [Electronics_101] Re: where to buy a forward/reverse switch

  • DaveC
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 17, 2013
      This sounds like a small AC sync motor with dual windings: one for forward, one for reverse.

      No need to reverse connections (it's AC!); just determine which wires are for each winding and connect to mains (fused, of course!) via DPDT switch.

      Dave

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Feb 17, 2013, at 8:01 AM, "andrew.mathison" <mathison@...> wrote:

      > assume that the four wires are two for say a field winding "A" and the other two for field winding "B". You only need to reverse the polarity of one or the other, not both together, or it will continue in the same direction.
      >
      > I assume you know how to connect the switch to one field, if you don't just ask.
      >
      > Andy
    • px_charles
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 17, 2013
        I've been to the local electronics store. A DPDT switch works. One can also use a DPDT relay to control a reversible AC motor.

        --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, DaveC <davec2468@...> wrote:

        > This sounds like a small AC sync motor with dual windings: one for forward, one for reverse.
        >
        > No need to reverse connections (it's AC!); just determine which wires are for each winding and connect to mains (fused, of course!) via DPDT switch.
        >
        > Dave
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone
        >
        > On Feb 17, 2013, at 8:01 AM, "andrew.mathison" <mathison@...> wrote:
        >
        > > assume that the four wires are two for say a field winding "A" and the other two for field winding "B". You only need to reverse the polarity of one or the other, not both together, or it will continue in the same direction.
        > >
        > > I assume you know how to connect the switch to one field, if you don't just ask.
        > >
        > > Andy

      • Andrew Mathison (Alice)
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 17, 2013
          You must reverse one field relative to the other, exactly as I wrote!!!
          Reversing both and the motor runs in the same direction as before.

          Remember - IT'S AC!!!

          Regards

          Andy
        • px_charles
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 17, 2013
            Thanks Andy. For a layman as myself, just make sure the switch is connected the right way- everything else is easy.

            --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Mathison \(Alice\)" <mathison@...> wrote:

            > You must reverse one field relative to the other, exactly as I wrote!!!
            > Reversing both and the motor runs in the same direction as before.
            >
            > Remember - IT'S AC!!!
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > Andy

          • Paul Read
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 18, 2013
              Hi Charles,

              Just get a double pole change over switch and cross over the normally open and normally close contacts on each other pole. Put the supply on the wiping contacts (P+ and P-) and the motor on the two normally open contacts (Ma and Mb)

              Ma Mb
              O O
              \ /
              \ /