CME-geomagnetic storm effects on technology

  • A6intruder@myo-p.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 15, 2013
      We had the usual office discussion today of life changing scenarios after
      seeing the meteor explode in Russia and the asteroid fly-by of earth this
      afternoon.

      Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) came up as one of the most likely to impact our
      current lifestyle.

      The typical thought is a real strong impact on our magnetosphere would not
      only take out the electric grid but all our car computers, phones, PC's etc.

      My question: Given an event strong enough to take out much of the power
      grid, would that necessarily take out every microchip around?

      My thought was the grid goes down because it is a great receiving antenna
      and absorbs too much energy for the transformer's and other components to
      handle. I can see any electrical device connected to the grid being at
      risk.

      How about an off-grid solar power system? Would the inverters necessarily
      be fried?

      If you had some warning and disconnected an inverter from every lead could
      it then survive?

      What about a modern automobile? Would its own miles of wiring act as a big
      antenna to fry the microprocessors within?

      How about a simple 555 chip sitting in your desk drawer?

      How about an older car with no microprocessors?

      Thanks for your thoughts!

      Dan Nicoson
    • Kerim F
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 15, 2013
        And what about us, humans, and our biological electric grid ;)
        This reminds me a person who said, after he noticed that his car was stolen while he was in a supermarket, "What a big loss, I forgot my cell phone in it" ;)

        --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "A6intruder@..." <A6intruder@...> wrote:

        > We had the usual office discussion today of life changing scenarios after
        > seeing the meteor explode in Russia and the asteroid fly-by of earth this
        > afternoon.
        >
        > Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) came up as one of the most likely to impact our
        > current lifestyle.
        >
        > The typical thought is a real strong impact on our magnetosphere would not
        > only take out the electric grid but all our car computers, phones, PC's etc.
        >
        > My question: Given an event strong enough to take out much of the power
        > grid, would that necessarily take out every microchip around?
        >
        > My thought was the grid goes down because it is a great receiving antenna
        > and absorbs too much energy for the transformer's and other components to
        > handle. I can see any electrical device connected to the grid being at
        > risk.
        >
        > How about an off-grid solar power system? Would the inverters necessarily
        > be fried?
        >
        > If you had some warning and disconnected an inverter from every lead could
        > it then survive?
        >
        > What about a modern automobile? Would its own miles of wiring act as a big
        > antenna to fry the microprocessors within?
        >
        > How about a simple 555 chip sitting in your desk drawer?
        >
        > How about an older car with no microprocessors?
        >
        > Thanks for your thoughts!
        >
        > Dan Nicoson

      • JIM HANDLEY
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 16, 2013
          Hello,

          Regional switching centres (not unlike Internet Severs) are used to control
          electricity grids. The last time I saw inside such a centre �some 20 or
          more years� ago� there were several people watching �maps� on huge TV
          screens and using the information thus presented, to manually switch feeds
          and loads, according to the power demanded in their own and adjacent
          geographical areas.

          Electricity grids are huge and of course and often, their generators�
          outputs are shared internationally. Therefore, I should think that anything
          that interrupted correct commutations between such switching centres would
          plunge the whole electricity distribution system into complete chaos.
          Presumably, the EMI (electromagnetic interference) caused by an electrical
          storm and induced into the into the grid�s communications system (radio
          and/or cable) could corrupt data transmissions.

          I ain�t too sure about this �anyone know better?

          Jim.