RE: [Electronics_101] Re: Good or Better HDTV antenna

  • Larry Beaty
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 5, 2013
      Frank,

      I have searched for the Terk I remember. Appearantly Terk no longer makes
      the Yagi I remember.

      Howerver, Winegard makes this one. This is the design that is good for
      digital TV. And could be mounted in the attic.

      http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4
      648844
      <http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=
      4648844&SRCCODE=SHOPPINGDF&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjCmtB55bETCjCVqHCjCdwwp&cpncode=33-1
      38209364-2>
      &SRCCODE=SHOPPINGDF&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjCmtB55bETCjCVqHCjCdwwp&cpncode=33-13820936
      4-2

      Be sure to get the whole address in your search.

      Good luck,

      Larry

      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 5, 2013
        On Tue, 05 Feb 2013 02:46:07 -0000, you wrote:

        >Hmmm.... cannibalizing my stove for better HDTV, interesting trade-off. Its kind of like, do I want to eat pizza or watch the football game? :-)
        >
        >Thanks.
        >
        >Frank P.
        >
        >--- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Willie Pierce wrote:
        >>
        >> The best DIY ant that I ever built was a former rack out of a stove. It took like 10 minutes to build and I used it for a few years. I don't remember what I did but I did it all with a air grinder that was just a little bigger than a dremel but a dremel would be better

        My outside antenna is a big LPV 30' up with a rotor. IIRC it dates
        back to the '70s. I think I replaced the coax and rotor cable in the
        late '80s.

        When HDTV came out I got one of the "government" boxes from
        WalMart. It was a POS. A few months later I got a real HDTV set.
        There was no comparison.

        As to diy:

        You probably want designs for "log periodic yagi" antennas.
        Take a look at ham radio sites.

        The antenna needs to be outside, high as possible and not pointing
        at trees (they eat TV signals). You will probably need to be able
        to rotate the antenna.
        If yon need an amplifier put it just under the antenna. Note that strong local
        stations may overload the amplifier and turn it into an attenuator.
        You will need good coax (at least as good as the cable outfits use).
        You do not want RG59.
        Keep the cable run as short as possible and don't forget to properly install
        a lightning arrestor where the coax enters your house.

        Keith Bowers WB4LSJ- Thomasville, NC
      • n0ngq
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 5, 2013

          > http://www.antennaweb.org

          The link above will give you and idea of what digital channels are available and their direction at your location. It will also give you an idea of how good of an antenna you need. In my area all HDTV channels are UHF and I use a Channel Master CM4221 4-Bay Bowtie UHF TV Antenna mounted in the attic. It's basically the same antenna I installed back in the 70s and still works today.

          <http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=03&p=CM-3021&d=Channel-Master-CM4221-4Bay-Bowtie-UHF-TV-Antenna-(CM4221)&c=TV%20Antennas&sku=>
        • Frank P
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 5, 2013
            Ron,
            Thanks for your input. Do you remember the mfg./model of the $30 unit you purchased?

            I have a few antennas and was hoping to add a signal amplifier/booster as a short cut.

            Frank P.

            --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Wright, N9EE" wrote:

            > Frank,
            >
            > I am now on cable, but for few months I was using over the air HDTV.
            >
            > I purchased on ebay a HDTV antenna. Really not HD, but the sellers try to tell you it is made for HD to get sells. It is for TV of any kind, HD or analog, hi.
            >
            > I just got one of the small, 2ft long x 18" wide yagi type, has a boom with elements for VHF and UHF on it. It also has a pre-amp at the antenna with box at TV that powers the pre-amp thru the RG59 coax cable, 50ft came with it. It also had a rotor that died quickly.
            >
            > On a 6 ft tripod in my back yard I was getting 30 stations as counting the dot stations from our local stations over 40 miles away.
            >
            > On ebay there are many of these antennas and although cheap and cost only $30 they do work. The pre-amp at the antenna helps a lot.
            >
            > If one could get up say 20 ft would be better. Does not take much for HD, but to keep sig from fading (get pixel interference) it is good to put up above your home.
            >
            > I do recommend one of these little cheap antennas for they do work well.
            >
            > I've used the RS pre-amp (sig booster) at the antenna and it worked ok. My Ham station tore it up, but when I was not on it did help.
            >
            > Really for $30 it is hard to beat the ebay versions. You can get nice long, 6ft or more, TV antenna like from RS, put up 20 ft and if have rotor might get stations from more than one city/market. But the $30 up 15 ft will do wonders in many cases.
            >
            > One other thing I did was take some TV twin lead, cut down center about 30 inches and separated to make dipole antenna. Then take other end and using a 300 Ohm to 75 Ohm transformer plugged into my little 7 in HDTV and with this antenna on inside window of my home got about 25 channels again from stations over 40 mi away. I would not recommend for permanent install, but for emergency use it would work. I mention this for it demos how HDTV does not require much to work well.
            >
            > 73, ron, n9ee/r
            >

            > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Frank P" wrote:
            > >
            > > I recently purchased a HDHomerun device to broadcast TV over my home network. Similar to :
            > >
            > > http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/atsc/
            > >
            > > Instead of depending on a cable provider to provide me a digital video recorder, my intent is to capture HDTV on a hard drive on a PC.
            > >
            > > So, consequently, I was hoping to get some advice on antennas. I have some old rabbit ears around my home but I would like to capture good solid signals for recording purposes.
            > >
            > > There are many people claiming to have the ultimate DYI antenna design but I am a bit skeptical.
            > >
            > > What do you guys recommend?
            > >
            > > I noticed that Radio Shack has some signal boosters/amplifiers. Do they really work? Are the boosters so complex that I couldn't build one myself?
            > >
            > > Or, is there a better approach I haven't thought about?
            > >
            > > I live in a multi-family building so I don't have the ability to install an external antenna, i.e. internal only.

> [...]
          • Ron Wright, N9EE
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 6, 2013
              Frank,

              Sorry, but no I do not remember the manuf and would bet they are something else now. I still have the antenna, have used on camping trips and still works fine except for the cheap rotor that died quickly.

              Look on ebay for "HDTV antennas". I did and got over 2400 hits. There are tons of them with pre-amp and rotor for $30-40.

              Most of these are Chinese type gear so cost little, but they do work. Make sure the pre-amp is at the antenna and not in control box at the TV end. And most all come with 50 ft RG59 coax. It is pretty much a plug and play device.

              One note: if you are trying to DX TV stations like stations 100 mi away these small antennas will probably not work for you unless you are on a mountain. Then one of the big 10ft or more long Radio Shack with rotor is needed. But for local with in 50 miles one can be very surprised as to how well things work.

              HD revolutionized TV in many ways; quality of picture and range for clear pure picture. And most HDTV stations are running 1/3rd or less power. And we have not talked about the dot channels when there was one ch in 6 MHz now can get 4 NTSC quality pictures in same 6 MHz. Life is good, hi. Also in old analog days one could not have 2 TV channels next to each other (no ch 3 & 4 in same market) With HDTV it essentially doubled the number of possible ch in a market.

              However, only 14% of house holds uses over the air TV. 86% is on cable or sat. But many are finding there is now much more offered by over the air and are coming back. Funny how things tend to revolve, hi. What was by wire is going wireless (the phone) and what was wireless is going to wire (cable TV).

> [...]

              > > > http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/atsc/
              > > >
              > > > Instead of depending on a cable provider to provide me a digital video recorder, my intent is to capture HDTV on a hard drive on a PC.
              > > >
              > > > So, consequently, I was hoping to get some advice on antennas. I have some old rabbit ears around my home but I would like to capture good solid signals for recording purposes.
              > > >
              > > > There are many people claiming to have the ultimate DYI antenna design but I am a bit skeptical.
              > > >
              > > > What do you guys recommend?
              > > >
              > > > I noticed that Radio Shack has some signal boosters/amplifiers. Do they really work? Are the boosters so complex that I couldn't build one myself?
              > > >
              > > > Or, is there a better approach I haven't thought about?
              > > >
              > > > I live in a multi-family building so I don't have the ability to install an external antenna, i.e. internal only.

            • Kerim F
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 6, 2013
                Off topic and just as general knowledge, I don't remember when I stopped receiving the ground TV stations using Yagi antennas. Since long, each family (or office) in Syria has its independent sat dish (even more than one, like a reception system for the parents and another for the kids) to receive thousands of channels (free and scrambled) via satellites. It takes a rather long time to count them all ;) These dishes can be easily seen from a plane when it flies at a low altitude over a Syrian city, as mine Aleppo ;)

                --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Frank P" wrote:

                > I recently purchased a HDHomerun device to broadcast TV over my home network. Similar to :
                >
                > http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/atsc/
                >
                > Instead of depending on a cable provider to provide me a digital video recorder, my intent is to capture HDTV on a hard drive on a PC.
                >
                > So, consequently, I was hoping to get some advice on antennas. I have some old rabbit ears around my home but I would like to capture good solid signals for recording purposes.
                >
                > There are many people claiming to have the ultimate DYI antenna design but I am a bit skeptical.
                >
                > What do you guys recommend?
                >
                > I noticed that Radio Shack has some signal boosters/amplifiers. Do they really work? Are the boosters so complex that I couldn't build one myself?
                >
                > Or, is there a better approach I haven't thought about?
                >
                > I live in a multi-family building so I don't have the ability to install an external antenna, i.e. internal only.
                >
                > Thanks.
                >
                > Frank P.

              • Larry Beaty
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 6, 2013
                  That Channel Master Bowtie antenna is one of the highest gain antennas
                  available. Good choice. In the attic it will last forever.

                  Larry