Re: [Electronics_101] What's "DDS"?

  • Ross McKenzie
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2013
      Direct digital synthesis ...

      http://www.ni.com/white-paper/5516/en might help. There are other
      tutorials also.

      Cheers,

      Ross

      On 05-Feb-13 7:24 PM, Dave C wrote:
      > <http://www.amazon.com/SG1005-Signal-Generator-Source-Function/dp/B008N7M5KU/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360051346&sr=1-6&keywords=frequency+counter+module>
      >
      > I've seen the term used as "DDS signal" and "DDS function".
      >
      > I've searched the web but found no conclusive definition.
      >
      > What is DDS?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Dave

    • Jong Kung
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2013
        Dave,

        Simply put it is a way to generate signals digitally using lookup table.

        Imagine digitizing a sine wave, measuring voltage of the signal at various equally divided points of the curve. For DDS: Now take those data and reverse it by generating those voltages at various points in time and you have a very good simulation of a sine curve (or any signal). That's DDS.

        DDS can be used to generate a very good likeness of many types of signal. Because it is digital there can be some digital artifacts that might need smoothing out.

        Jong

        On Feb 4, 2013, at 10:24 PM, Dave C <davec2468@...> wrote:

        > I've seen the term used as "DDS signal" and "DDS function".
        >
        > I've searched the web but found no conclusive definition.
        >
        > What is DDS?
      • Howard Hansen
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2013
          On 2/5/2013 2:24 AM, Dave C wrote:

          > http://www.amazon.com/SG1005-Signal-Generator-Source-Function/dp/B008N7M5KU/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360051346&sr=1-6&keywords=frequency+counter+module>
          >
          > I've seen the term used as "DDS signal" and "DDS function".
          >
          > I've searched the web but found no conclusive definition.
          >
          > What is DDS?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Dave
          >
          > __.

          Another good tutorial on DDS.
          <http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/tutorials/450968421DDS_Tutorial_rev12-2-99.pdf>

          Perhaps more than Dave wanted to know.

          The other Howard

        • Jong Kung
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5, 2013
            Howard,

            122 pages... A lot more than....

            :-)

            I'm saving the PDF on my computer. Thanks.

            Jong

            On Feb 5, 2013, at 8:18 AM, Howard Hansen <hrhan@...> wrote:

            > Perhaps more than Dave wanted to know.
          • janrwl
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2013
              In a message dated 2/5/2013 12:19:14 P.M. Central Standard Time,
              hrhan@... writes:

              What is DDS?<<
              Dr. of Dental Surgery (sorry! Couldn't resist!)

            • Dave C
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 5, 2013
                Thanks guys. New terms every day...

                Dave

                -=-=-=-

                On 5 February 2013, at 11:53 AM, JanRwl@... wrote:

                > In a message dated 2/5/2013 12:19:14 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                > hrhan@... writes:
                >
                > What is DDS?<<
                > Dr. of Dental Surgery (sorry! Couldn't resist!)
              • Michael Dunn
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 8, 2013