What's "DDS"?

  • Dave C
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2013
      <http://www.amazon.com/SG1005-Signal-Generator-Source-Function/dp/B008N7M5KU/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360051346&sr=1-6&keywords=frequency+counter+module>

      I've seen the term used as "DDS signal" and "DDS function".

      I've searched the web but found no conclusive definition.

      What is DDS?

      Thanks,
      Dave
    • Ross McKenzie
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2013
        Direct digital synthesis ...

        http://www.ni.com/white-paper/5516/en might help. There are other
        tutorials also.

        Cheers,

        Ross

        On 05-Feb-13 7:24 PM, Dave C wrote:
        > <http://www.amazon.com/SG1005-Signal-Generator-Source-Function/dp/B008N7M5KU/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360051346&sr=1-6&keywords=frequency+counter+module>
        >
        > I've seen the term used as "DDS signal" and "DDS function".
        >
        > I've searched the web but found no conclusive definition.
        >
        > What is DDS?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Dave

      • Jong Kung
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2013
          Dave,

          Simply put it is a way to generate signals digitally using lookup table.

          Imagine digitizing a sine wave, measuring voltage of the signal at various equally divided points of the curve. For DDS: Now take those data and reverse it by generating those voltages at various points in time and you have a very good simulation of a sine curve (or any signal). That's DDS.

          DDS can be used to generate a very good likeness of many types of signal. Because it is digital there can be some digital artifacts that might need smoothing out.

          Jong

          On Feb 4, 2013, at 10:24 PM, Dave C <davec2468@...> wrote:

          > I've seen the term used as "DDS signal" and "DDS function".
          >
          > I've searched the web but found no conclusive definition.
          >
          > What is DDS?
        • Howard Hansen
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5, 2013
            On 2/5/2013 2:24 AM, Dave C wrote:

            > http://www.amazon.com/SG1005-Signal-Generator-Source-Function/dp/B008N7M5KU/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360051346&sr=1-6&keywords=frequency+counter+module>
            >
            > I've seen the term used as "DDS signal" and "DDS function".
            >
            > I've searched the web but found no conclusive definition.
            >
            > What is DDS?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Dave
            >
            > __.

            Another good tutorial on DDS.
            <http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/tutorials/450968421DDS_Tutorial_rev12-2-99.pdf>

            Perhaps more than Dave wanted to know.

            The other Howard

          • Jong Kung
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2013
              Howard,

              122 pages... A lot more than....

              :-)

              I'm saving the PDF on my computer. Thanks.

              Jong

              On Feb 5, 2013, at 8:18 AM, Howard Hansen <hrhan@...> wrote:

              > Perhaps more than Dave wanted to know.
            • janrwl
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 5, 2013
                In a message dated 2/5/2013 12:19:14 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                hrhan@... writes:

                What is DDS?<<
                Dr. of Dental Surgery (sorry! Couldn't resist!)

              • Dave C
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 5, 2013
                  Thanks guys. New terms every day...

                  Dave

                  -=-=-=-

                  On 5 February 2013, at 11:53 AM, JanRwl@... wrote:

                  > In a message dated 2/5/2013 12:19:14 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                  > hrhan@... writes:
                  >
                  > What is DDS?<<
                  > Dr. of Dental Surgery (sorry! Couldn't resist!)
                • Michael Dunn
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 8, 2013