Radio Shack signal amplifiers - Do they really work?

  • Gooey
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2013
      For What Its Worth Dept

      I captured OTA TV with a small external antenna using older TV set and one
      of those Converters bought with a Fed Gov Credit.

      I was not happy with the reception (not enough of the possible channels) and
      regretted not buying a bigger (more expensive) antenna.

      Then I saw a close-out of an antenna amp from Radio Shack ($3.47!) and ran
      up to the next county to get it (Org retail was in excess of twenty bucks as
      I recall). It was a powered unit that worked with the coax cable.

      The results were dramatic.

      BTW, before we dropped the (^))%%) cable provider I was able to tune in the
      same channel on two different sets. One connected to my (non-amplified) OTA
      digital signal and the other via the Comcast analog cable directly connected
      to the coax connector on the set.

      Large difference in picture quality. The OTA signal produce a noticeably
      better, sharper, more detailed image than we got via COMCAST CABLE.
    • mark hubrich
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2013
        You have to pay extra to Comcast for that nice picture. Those bastards.
        On Feb 4, 2013 10:25 PM, "Gooey" <gooeytarballs@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > For What Its Worth Dept
        >
        > I captured OTA TV with a small external antenna using older TV set and one
        > of those Converters bought with a Fed Gov Credit.
        >
        > I was not happy with the reception (not enough of the possible channels)
        > and
        > regretted not buying a bigger (more expensive) antenna.
        >
        > Then I saw a close-out of an antenna amp from Radio Shack ($3.47!) and ran
        > up to the next county to get it (Org retail was in excess of twenty bucks
        > as
        > I recall). It was a powered unit that worked with the coax cable.
        >
        > The results were dramatic.
        >
        > BTW, before we dropped the (^))%%) cable provider I was able to tune in
        > the
        > same channel on two different sets. One connected to my (non-amplified)
        > OTA
        > digital signal and the other via the Comcast analog cable directly
        > connected
        > to the coax connector on the set.
        >
        > Large difference in picture quality. The OTA signal produce a noticeably
        > better, sharper, more detailed image than we got via COMCAST CABLE.

      • Frank P
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2013
          I came across a few circuits that claim to be for amplifying OTA HDTV signals:

          http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=102190

          http://www.newcircuits.com/circuit.php?id=rfr010

          http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Circuits/rf/uhfpreamp.htm

          I was wondering if one of these signs might be a good substitute for a Radio Shack unit.

          Frank P.