RE: [Electronics_101] Good or Better HDTV antenna

  • James M. Geidl
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 4, 2013
      Frank,

      Does your device broadcast in analog or digital? Modern broadcast
      television is all digital (that's why everyone had to by set-top
      converters). With digital it is pretty much on or off. There isn't a lot
      of enhancement to the quality that can be made. If you are getting a signal
      and don't have a bunch of artifacts in it then you a probably good to go
      without buy additional antennas.

      James M. Geidl, K6JMG
      D.B. Cooper, you have a message.

      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 4, 2013
        http://www.antennaweb.org

        --
      • Frank P
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 4, 2013
          Hmmm.... cannibalizing my stove for better HDTV, interesting trade-off. Its kind of like, do I want to eat pizza or watch the football game? :-)

          Thanks.

          Frank P.

          --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Willie Pierce wrote:

          > The best DIY ant that I ever built was a former rack out of a stove. It took like 10 minutes to build and I used it for a few years. I don't remember what I did but I did it all with a air grinder that was just a little bigger than a dremel but a dremel would be better
          >
          > On Feb 4, 2013, at 4:11 PM, "Frank P" wrote:
          >
          > > I recently purchased a HDHomerun device to broadcast TV over my home network. Similar to :
          > >
          > > http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/atsc/
          > >
          > > Instead of depending on a cable provider to provide me a digital video recorder, my intent is to capture HDTV on a hard drive on a PC.
          > >
          > > So, consequently, I was hoping to get some advice on antennas. I have some old rabbit ears around my home but I would like to capture good solid signals for recording purposes.
          > >
          > > There are many people claiming to have the ultimate DYI antenna design but I am a bit skeptical.
          > >
          > > What do you guys recommend?
          > >
          > > I noticed that Radio Shack has some signal boosters/amplifiers. Do they really work? Are the boosters so complex that I couldn't build one myself?
          > >
          > > Or, is there a better approach I haven't thought about?
          > >
          > > I live in a multi-family building so I don't have the ability to install an external antenna, i.e. internal only.
          > >
          > > Thanks.
          > >
          > > Frank P.

        • Frank P
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 4, 2013
            Larry,
            I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with"Terk", would you elaborate?
            Thanks.

            Frank P.

            --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Beaty" wrote:

            > Terk has a good Yagi antenna. You need to get outside to get the best
            > signal.
            >

            > Larry

          • Frank P
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 4, 2013
              Larry,
              The HDHomeRun device is a HDTV convertor box of sorts. It is supposed to perform just like a convertor box but it broadcasts the HDTV (I believe its digital) on to PCs on your home computer network.

              I elected to try this device because I wanted to record some TV shows and burn them to DVD. Since the TV shows are only broadcast locally (not on cable), it seemed like a good solution.

              Since my intent is to burn to DVD, I would like to make sure my recordings are "good". Of course, with over-the-air broadcasts, there is always the possibility of the interference. I asked my original questions about antennas to find out if there was a way to assure me the best possible signal.

              Thanks.

              Frank P.

              - In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "James M. Geidl" wrote:

              > Frank,
              >
              > Does your device broadcast in analog or digital? Modern broadcast
              > television is all digital (that's why everyone had to by set-top
              > converters). With digital it is pretty much on or off. There isn't a lot
              > of enhancement to the quality that can be made. If you are getting a signal
              > and don't have a bunch of artifacts in it then you a probably good to go
              > without buy additional antennas.
              >
              > James M. Geidl, K6JMG
              > D.B. Cooper, you have a message.

            • Roland Harriston
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 4, 2013
                I'll butt in:

                Terk is a company that makes a lot of antennas........some
                good........some bad.
                They seem to specialize in indoor antennas.

                My experience with a couple of Terk indoor FM antennas was less than
                satisfactory,
                but that might have been due to my location.

                I did better with a classic homemade dipole antenna made from 300ohm TV
                twinlead.

                Others may have had better luck with Terk products.
                They have been around a long time, so I guess some users are satisfied.

                Roland F. Harriston, P.D.
                *******************

                Frank P wrote:

                > Larry,
                > I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with"Terk", would you elaborate?
                > Thanks.
                >
                > Frank P.
                >
                > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:Electronics_101%40yahoogroups.com>, "Larry Beaty" wrote:
                > >
                > > Terk has a good Yagi antenna. You need to get outside to get the best
                > > signal.
                > >

                > > Larry
                > >

                > > From: Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com

              • AlienRelics
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 4, 2013
                  I bought a very cheap amplified Yagi-like antenna with built-in rotator from an eBay seller for around $30. However, I've not had a chance to put it in yet.

                  According to the TV antenna survey sites, I'm in a dead hole requiring a very good antenna mounted 20 ft in the air.

                  Steve Greenfield AE7HD
                • Ron Wright, N9EE
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 5, 2013
                    Frank,

                    I am now on cable, but for few months I was using over the air HDTV.

                    I purchased on ebay a HDTV antenna. Really not HD, but the sellers try to tell you it is made for HD to get sells. It is for TV of any kind, HD or analog, hi.

                    I just got one of the small, 2ft long x 18" wide yagi type, has a boom with elements for VHF and UHF on it. It also has a pre-amp at the antenna with box at TV that powers the pre-amp thru the RG59 coax cable, 50ft came with it. It also had a rotor that died quickly.

                    On a 6 ft tripod in my back yard I was getting 30 stations as counting the dot stations from our local stations over 40 miles away.

                    On ebay there are many of these antennas and although cheap and cost only $30 they do work. The pre-amp at the antenna helps a lot.

                    If one could get up say 20 ft would be better. Does not take much for HD, but to keep sig from fading (get pixel interference) it is good to put up above your home.

                    I do recommend one of these little cheap antennas for they do work well.

                    I've used the RS pre-amp (sig booster) at the antenna and it worked ok. My Ham station tore it up, but when I was not on it did help.

                    Really for $30 it is hard to beat the ebay versions. You can get nice long, 6ft or more, TV antenna like from RS, put up 20 ft and if have rotor might get stations from more than one city/market. But the $30 up 15 ft will do wonders in many cases.

                    One other thing I did was take some TV twin lead, cut down center about 30 inches and separated to make dipole antenna. Then take other end and using a 300 Ohm to 75 Ohm transformer plugged into my little 7 in HDTV and with this antenna on inside window of my home got about 25 channels again from stations over 40 mi away. I would not recommend for permanent install, but for emergency use it would work. I mention this for it demos how HDTV does not require much to work well.

                    73, ron, n9ee/r

                    --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Frank P" wrote:

                    > I recently purchased a HDHomerun device to broadcast TV over my home network. Similar to :
                    >
                    > http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/atsc/
                    >
                    > Instead of depending on a cable provider to provide me a digital video recorder, my intent is to capture HDTV on a hard drive on a PC.
                    >
                    > So, consequently, I was hoping to get some advice on antennas. I have some old rabbit ears around my home but I would like to capture good solid signals for recording purposes.
                    >
                    > There are many people claiming to have the ultimate DYI antenna design but I am a bit skeptical.
                    >
                    > What do you guys recommend?
                    >
                    > I noticed that Radio Shack has some signal boosters/amplifiers. Do they really work? Are the boosters so complex that I couldn't build one myself?
                    >
                    > Or, is there a better approach I haven't thought about?
                    >
                    > I live in a multi-family building so I don't have the ability to install an external antenna, i.e. internal only.
                    >
                    > Thanks.
                    >
                    > Frank P.

                  • Larry Beaty
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 5, 2013
                      Frank,

                      I have searched for the Terk I remember. Appearantly Terk no longer makes
                      the Yagi I remember.

                      Howerver, Winegard makes this one. This is the design that is good for
                      digital TV. And could be mounted in the attic.

                      http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4
                      648844
                      <http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=
                      4648844&SRCCODE=SHOPPINGDF&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjCmtB55bETCjCVqHCjCdwwp&cpncode=33-1
                      38209364-2>
                      &SRCCODE=SHOPPINGDF&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjCmtB55bETCjCVqHCjCdwwp&cpncode=33-13820936
                      4-2

                      Be sure to get the whole address in your search.

                      Good luck,

                      Larry

                      I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with"Terk", would you elaborate?
                      Thanks.

                      Frank P.

                      --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com
                      <mailto:Electronics_101%40yahoogroups.com> , "Larry Beaty" wrote:

                      > Terk has a good Yagi antenna. You need to get outside to get the best
                      > signal.
                      >

                      > Larry
                      >

                      > From: Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com
                      <mailto:Electronics_101%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > Subject: [Electronics_101] Good or Better HDTV antenna
                      >

                      > I recently purchased a HDHomerun device to broadcast TV over my home
                      > network. Similar to :
                      >
                      > http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/atsc/
                      >
                      > Instead of depending on a cable provider to provide me a digital video
                      > recorder, my intent is to capture HDTV on a hard drive on a PC.
                      >
                      > So, consequently, I was hoping to get some advice on antennas. I have some
                      > old rabbit ears around my home but I would like to capture good solid
                      > signals for recording purposes.
                      >
                      > There are many people claiming to have the ultimate DYI antenna design but
                      > am a bit skeptical.
                      >
                      > What do you guys recommend?
                      >
                      > I noticed that Radio Shack has some signal boosters/amplifiers. Do they
                      > really work? Are the boosters so complex that I couldn't build one myself?
                      >
                      > Or, is there a better approach I haven't thought about?
                      >
                      > I live in a multi-family building so I don't have the ability to install
                      an
                      > external antenna, i.e. internal only.
                      >
                      > Thanks.
                      >
                      > Frank P.

                    • kabowers336
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 5, 2013
                        On Tue, 05 Feb 2013 02:46:07 -0000, you wrote:

                        >Hmmm.... cannibalizing my stove for better HDTV, interesting trade-off. Its kind of like, do I want to eat pizza or watch the football game? :-)
                        >
                        >Thanks.
                        >
                        >Frank P.
                        >
                        >--- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Willie Pierce wrote:
                        >>
                        >> The best DIY ant that I ever built was a former rack out of a stove. It took like 10 minutes to build and I used it for a few years. I don't remember what I did but I did it all with a air grinder that was just a little bigger than a dremel but a dremel would be better

                        My outside antenna is a big LPV 30' up with a rotor. IIRC it dates
                        back to the '70s. I think I replaced the coax and rotor cable in the
                        late '80s.

                        When HDTV came out I got one of the "government" boxes from
                        WalMart. It was a POS. A few months later I got a real HDTV set.
                        There was no comparison.

                        As to diy:

                        You probably want designs for "log periodic yagi" antennas.
                        Take a look at ham radio sites.

                        The antenna needs to be outside, high as possible and not pointing
                        at trees (they eat TV signals). You will probably need to be able
                        to rotate the antenna.
                        If yon need an amplifier put it just under the antenna. Note that strong local
                        stations may overload the amplifier and turn it into an attenuator.
                        You will need good coax (at least as good as the cable outfits use).
                        You do not want RG59.
                        Keep the cable run as short as possible and don't forget to properly install
                        a lightning arrestor where the coax enters your house.

                        Keith Bowers WB4LSJ- Thomasville, NC
                      • n0ngq
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 5, 2013

                          > http://www.antennaweb.org

                          The link above will give you and idea of what digital channels are available and their direction at your location. It will also give you an idea of how good of an antenna you need. In my area all HDTV channels are UHF and I use a Channel Master CM4221 4-Bay Bowtie UHF TV Antenna mounted in the attic. It's basically the same antenna I installed back in the 70s and still works today.

                          <http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=03&p=CM-3021&d=Channel-Master-CM4221-4Bay-Bowtie-UHF-TV-Antenna-(CM4221)&c=TV%20Antennas&sku=>
                        • Frank P
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 5, 2013
                            Ron,
                            Thanks for your input. Do you remember the mfg./model of the $30 unit you purchased?

                            I have a few antennas and was hoping to add a signal amplifier/booster as a short cut.

                            Frank P.

                            --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Wright, N9EE" wrote:

> [...]
                            > >
                            > > http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/atsc/
                            > >
                            > > Instead of depending on a cable provider to provide me a digital video recorder, my intent is to capture HDTV on a hard drive on a PC.
                            > >
                            > > So, consequently, I was hoping to get some advice on antennas. I have some old rabbit ears around my home but I would like to capture good solid signals for recording purposes.
                            > >
                            > > There are many people claiming to have the ultimate DYI antenna design but I am a bit skeptical.
                            > >
                            > > What do you guys recommend?
                            > >
                            > > I noticed that Radio Shack has some signal boosters/amplifiers. Do they really work? Are the boosters so complex that I couldn't build one myself?
                            > >
                            > > Or, is there a better approach I haven't thought about?
                            > >
                            > > I live in a multi-family building so I don't have the ability to install an external antenna, i.e. internal only.

                          • Ron Wright, N9EE
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 6, 2013
                              Frank,

                              Sorry, but no I do not remember the manuf and would bet they are something else now. I still have the antenna, have used on camping trips and still works fine except for the cheap rotor that died quickly.

                              Look on ebay for "HDTV antennas". I did and got over 2400 hits. There are tons of them with pre-amp and rotor for $30-40.

                              Most of these are Chinese type gear so cost little, but they do work. Make sure the pre-amp is at the antenna and not in control box at the TV end. And most all come with 50 ft RG59 coax. It is pretty much a plug and play device.

                              One note: if you are trying to DX TV stations like stations 100 mi away these small antennas will probably not work for you unless you are on a mountain. Then one of the big 10ft or more long Radio Shack with rotor is needed. But for local with in 50 miles one can be very surprised as to how well things work.

                              HD revolutionized TV in many ways; quality of picture and range for clear pure picture. And most HDTV stations are running 1/3rd or less power. And we have not talked about the dot channels when there was one ch in 6 MHz now can get 4 NTSC quality pictures in same 6 MHz. Life is good, hi. Also in old analog days one could not have 2 TV channels next to each other (no ch 3 & 4 in same market) With HDTV it essentially doubled the number of possible ch in a market.

                              However, only 14% of house holds uses over the air TV. 86% is on cable or sat. But many are finding there is now much more offered by over the air and are coming back. Funny how things tend to revolve, hi. What was by wire is going wireless (the phone) and what was wireless is going to wire (cable TV).

> [...]

                              > > > http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/atsc/
                              > > >
                              > > > Instead of depending on a cable provider to provide me a digital video recorder, my intent is to capture HDTV on a hard drive on a PC.
                              > > >
                              > > > So, consequently, I was hoping to get some advice on antennas. I have some old rabbit ears around my home but I would like to capture good solid signals for recording purposes.
                              > > >
                              > > > There are many people claiming to have the ultimate DYI antenna design but I am a bit skeptical.
                              > > >
                              > > > What do you guys recommend?
                              > > >
                              > > > I noticed that Radio Shack has some signal boosters/amplifiers. Do they really work? Are the boosters so complex that I couldn't build one myself?
                              > > >
                              > > > Or, is there a better approach I haven't thought about?
                              > > >
                              > > > I live in a multi-family building so I don't have the ability to install an external antenna, i.e. internal only.

                            • Kerim F
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 6, 2013
                                Off topic and just as general knowledge, I don't remember when I stopped receiving the ground TV stations using Yagi antennas. Since long, each family (or office) in Syria has its independent sat dish (even more than one, like a reception system for the parents and another for the kids) to receive thousands of channels (free and scrambled) via satellites. It takes a rather long time to count them all ;) These dishes can be easily seen from a plane when it flies at a low altitude over a Syrian city, as mine Aleppo ;)

                                --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Frank P" wrote:

                                > I recently purchased a HDHomerun device to broadcast TV over my home network. Similar to :
                                >
                                > http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/atsc/
                                >
                                > Instead of depending on a cable provider to provide me a digital video recorder, my intent is to capture HDTV on a hard drive on a PC.
                                >
                                > So, consequently, I was hoping to get some advice on antennas. I have some old rabbit ears around my home but I would like to capture good solid signals for recording purposes.
                                >
                                > There are many people claiming to have the ultimate DYI antenna design but I am a bit skeptical.
                                >
                                > What do you guys recommend?
                                >
                                > I noticed that Radio Shack has some signal boosters/amplifiers. Do they really work? Are the boosters so complex that I couldn't build one myself?
                                >
                                > Or, is there a better approach I haven't thought about?
                                >
                                > I live in a multi-family building so I don't have the ability to install an external antenna, i.e. internal only.
                                >
                                > Thanks.
                                >
                                > Frank P.

                              • Larry Beaty
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 6, 2013
                                  That Channel Master Bowtie antenna is one of the highest gain antennas
                                  available. Good choice. In the attic it will last forever.

                                  Larry