Breadboard-style Prototype PCB

  • CharlesD
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2013
      What do you guys do for prototyping (or building...) small circuits? I can and have ordered some 4.5"x6.5" board from digikey with 3 pad format and .3" between the pads with bus between which make it perfect for little linear IC projects.

      I've seen: https://www.adafruit.com/products/589

      Any one else see anything around or use something affordable?

      Thanks
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2013
        --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "CharlesD" wrote:

        > What do you guys do for prototyping (or building...) small circuits? I can and have ordered some 4.5"x6.5" board from digikey with 3 pad format and .3" between the pads with bus between which make it perfect for little linear IC projects.
        >
        > I've seen: https://www.adafruit.com/products/589
        >
        > Any one else see anything around or use something affordable?
        >
        > Thanks

        There are all kinds of prototype boards here:
        http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDrillDownView?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&freeText=prototype&search_type=jamecoall

        I tend to use the solderless type.

        If it gets more serious, I design a PCB and have it built by ExpressPCB.

        Richard
      • Ross McKenzie
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2013
          Hi Charles,

          At my end of the experience spectrum, I tend to always design and etch
          my own pcb at home ... even for prototyping small commercial projects
          while I wait for the client to inevitably change the specification :-)

          Of course this may not suit your situation. But I can usually produce an
          assembled board in a day.

          Cheers,

          Ross

          On 02-Feb-13 11:54 AM, CharlesD wrote:
          > What do you guys do for prototyping (or building...) small circuits? I can and have ordered some 4.5"x6.5" board from digikey with 3 pad format and .3" between the pads with bus between which make it perfect for little linear IC projects.
          >
          > I've seen: https://www.adafruit.com/products/589
          >
          > Any one else see anything around or use something affordable?
          >
          > Thanks

        • Larry Beaty
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2013
            Charles,

            I use ExpressPCB to make my prototype boards. They give you a 2 ½ X 3.8”
            board times three. I can put several projects on the small board. I use SM
            0805 parts so I can get a large schematic in a very small space. Cost is
            about $65. That may be considered high, but when you get several projects
            on one purchase and get three boards of each, it is affordable. Their work
            is excellent and fast. I am retired and living on only SS and I can afford
            it every several months.

            Larry

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 8, 2013
              On 2/1/2013 6:54 PM, CharlesD wrote:

              > What do you guys do for prototyping (or building...) small circuits? I
              > can and have ordered some 4.5"x6.5" board from digikey with 3 pad
              > format and .3" between the pads with bus between which make it perfect
              > for little linear IC projects.
              >
              > I've seen: https://www.adafruit.com/products/589
              >
              > Any one else see anything around or use something affordable?
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > _

              Michael Dunn wrote an interesting blog on Prototyping Methods. See:
              <http://www.scopejunction.com/author.asp?section_id=1835&doc_id=257677&>

              The other Howard

            • mark hubrich
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 8, 2013
                Wow thanks!! I always wondered why it was called a breadboard lol. I love
                those Schmartboards. I enjoy salvaging surface mount stuff and fooling
                around. Some Radio Shacks sell them now. They seem to be coming back to
                sell useful stuff again. Its only been 25 years but hey.

                Great article!!