Re: [Electronics_101] BGA rework station

  • Steve Wiseman
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2013
      On 01/02/2013, Dave C <davec2468@...> wrote:
      > If anyone has need of one:
      >
      > <http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/3585142927.html>

      How are you supposed to line the BGA up with these things? Or is the
      theory that you just flux and reflow already soldered chips, without
      moving them?

      The real question: Are they any use for assembling stuff from scratch,
      or are they only intended for reflowing duff boards? Sometimes I see
      them bundled with reballing kits and paste stencils, but I really
      can't see how you could line up a (say) 0.65mm BGA first time, without
      smearing the solder paste around.
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2013
        --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Steve Wiseman wrote:

        > On 01/02/2013, Dave C wrote:
        > > If anyone has need of one:
        > >

        > How are you supposed to line the BGA up with these things? Or is the
        > theory that you just flux and reflow already soldered chips, without
        > moving them?
        >
        > The real question: Are they any use for assembling stuff from scratch,
        > or are they only intended for reflowing duff boards? Sometimes I see
        > them bundled with reballing kits and paste stencils, but I really
        > can't see how you could line up a (say) 0.65mm BGA first time, without
        > smearing the solder paste around.

        There is often an outline on the silkscreen layer. Further, it probably doesn't matter if it is aligned perfectly since surface tension will float the device into position.

        I bought a hot air rework station and I haven't found it useful for assembly. It just blows the parts around.

        At the moment, I use a GE Hotplate to cook my boards. But I'm not doing BGA.

        I am thinking about building a reflow oven in the VERY near future. Like next week. I have a board to build with a lot of 0805 packages and I don't want to cook it because it is 4 layer and I would hate to see it delaminate.

        Sparkfun had a project for a reflow oven. However, be aware that their oven controller is a true DIY project. It does not come complete with much of anything in terms of software. You can read the comments from a number of disappointed customers. If you can't do the software, don't do the project.

        Richard
      • Dave C
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2013
          > Sparkfun had a project for a reflow oven. However, be aware that their oven controller is a true DIY project. It does not come complete with much of anything in terms of software. You can read the comments from a number of disappointed customers. If you can't do the software, don't do the project.
          >
          > Richard

          -=-=-=-

          One project, including code:

          oven.pdf

          While this one uses MATLAB to program the controller, this report describes very well the design and build details.

          A web search turns up many of these DIY projects, most with complete code.

          It is a back eye to Sparkfun -- an otherwise very good resource for DIY'ers -- to have a "kit" with no programming tools or code. What were they thinking?

        • Dave C
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2013
            > A web search turns up many of these DIY projects, most with complete code.

            Nuts & Volts magazine had an article describing a complete project (including code for PIC, I think), but their site is pretty limited in searching unless you are a subscriber.

            Any NV subscribers here that want to find the reflow toaster over project?

            Dave
          • Dave C
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 2, 2013
              > One project, including code:
              >
              > oven.pdf

              Bah!

              http://homanndesigns.com/pdfs/oven.pdf

              > While this one uses MATLAB to program the controller, this report describes very well the design and build details.

              Double Bah!

              https://www.ee.washington.edu/techsite/papers/documents/UWEETR-2006-0010.pdf

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 2, 2013
                --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Dave C wrote:
                > Any NV subscribers here that want to find the reflow toaster over project?
                >
                > Dave

                As you said, there are a lot of these projects around.

                I have decided to use the Black & Decker InfraWave oven after seeing it on YouTube.

                For the controller, I don't necessarily want a PC involved and I don't have MATLAB. So I decided on the Arduino Reflow Oven Controller Shield:
                http://www.rocketscream.com/shop/reflow-oven-controller-shield-arduino-compatible

                A note to the next person: I never did come up with a way to download a clean file of the code from GitHub. It came with some markup codes that had to be changed because I copied and pasted from the RAW code display. Things like & for & and < for <. OK, any decent editor will do that. But, make darn sure you editor saves the file with ANSI encoding, not UTF-8. There's a reason I know this!

                It looks like the code easily fits in an Arduino Due.

                I ordered the Type K Thermocouple from Sparkfun and a Solid State Relay from DigiKey. Just in case I want to expand on the idea, I also ordered a thermocouple add-on module that will work on an entire series of Olimex boards:
                http://microcontrollershop.com/product_info.php?products_id=4643

                This thing is coming together pretty well. It looks like I don't have to invent anything.

                Richard
              • Dave C
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 2, 2013
                  On 2 February 2013, at 6:48 AM, rtstofer wrote:

                  > I have decided to use the Black & Decker InfraWave oven after seeing it on YouTube.

                  How about this Panasonic? ::

                  http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/NB-G110P

                  What are the different heating elements used in the IR oven vs. the convection oven?