Re: [Electronics_101] "a specific fan and motor combination in mind"

  • Howard Hansen
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28, 2013
      On 1/27/2013 9:45 PM, Gooey wrote:
      > OK, I guess I didn't phrase the question quite as nicely and precisely as
      > required.
      >
      > "Does increasing the speed of my fireplace blower fan result in higher
      > Electric use/KWH billing from the power company."
      >
      > I appreciate that it might not be a linear relationship. And the Reponses
      > offering graphs are helpful.
      >
      > And, no specifics on the 110VAC motor involved as it's 'buried' in the
      > fireplace insert and too hot to handle 'till the weather warms up ;)
      >
      > What I got from the responses thus far is that it will cost me more to run
      > it at High Speed than Low Speed - absent some unique motor, of course.
      >
      > Thanks

      The next step in deciding whether to run the fan at a low or high speed
      is to measure the power consumption at various speeds. A KIllawatt is
      designed for measuring the power consumption of 115 volt AC appliances.
      See:
      <http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359399089&sr=1-1&keywords=kill+a+watt>

      The other Howard