8051 trainer help required

  • Engr. Rehmat Hazara
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 28, 2013
      Assalam-o-Alaikum,

      Hi all.
      salam,
      i have a bought a 8051 Microcontroller kit(trainer), i have connect that to my computer, but when i am trying to erase or right something, it gives an error that "the device is not responding". any body kindly help me out.
      below is the details of my trainer QK202.
      i have few files and schematic of that also, if required let me know,
      kindly help me out, i am stuck.
      http://www.quadrikits.com.pk/qk202.html%c2%a0

      kind regards
      Engr. Rehmat Ullah

    • Howard Hansen
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 28, 2013
        On 1/28/2013 11:36 AM, Engr. Rehmat Hazara wrote:

        > Assalam-o-Alaikum,
        >
        > Hi all.
        > salam,
        > i have a bought a 8051 Microcontroller kit(trainer), i have connect
        > that to my computer, but when i am trying to erase or right something,
        > it gives an error that "the device is not responding". any body kindly
        > help me out.
        > below is the details of my trainer QK202.
        > i have few files and schematic of that also, if required let me know,
        > kindly help me out, i am stuck.
        > http://www.quadrikits.com.pk/qk202.html
        >
        > kind regards
        > Engr. Rehmat Ullah

        The description says "On the board integrated USB to COM(PL2303) line,
        may promote directly USB, through the USB mouth to STC89 series chip
        downloading procedure, may also make the serial port correspondence, is
        suitable does not have the serial port in some computers"

        I assume you are using this method to connect your trainer board to your
        PC. Have you installed the appropriate driver for this USB to serial
        interface in your computer? Are you using Windows or Linux? The
        following is for Windows. When using Windows does a COM port for the
        trainer board show up n the list of IO ports when you connect the
        trainer board to your computer? I can't help you with Linux.

        The other Howard

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 28, 2013
          --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Howard Hansen wrote:

          > On 1/28/2013 11:36 AM, Engr. Rehmat Hazara wrote:
          > >
          > > Assalam-o-Alaikum,
          > >
          > > Hi all.
          > > salam,
          > > i have a bought a 8051 Microcontroller kit(trainer), i have connect
          > > that to my computer, but when i am trying to erase or right something,
          > > it gives an error that "the device is not responding". any body kindly
          > > help me out.
          > > below is the details of my trainer QK202.
          > > i have few files and schematic of that also, if required let me know,
          > > kindly help me out, i am stuck.
          > > http://www.quadrikits.com.pk/qk202.html
          > >
          > > kind regards
          > > Engr. Rehmat Ullah
          > >

          > The description says "On the board integrated USB to COM(PL2303) line,
          > may promote directly USB, through the USB mouth to STC89 series chip
          > downloading procedure, may also make the serial port correspondence, is
          > suitable does not have the serial port in some computers"
          >
          > I assume you are using this method to connect your trainer board to your
          > PC. Have you installed the appropriate driver for this USB to serial
          > interface in your computer? Are you using Windows or Linux? The
          > following is for Windows. When using Windows does a COM port for the
          > trainer board show up n the list of IO ports when you connect the
          > trainer board to your computer? I can't help you with Linux.
          >
          > The other Howard

          For linux, use the dmesg command from the command prompt. The most recent messages will display which port was assigned to the USB device. You should probably already be at the command prompt before plugging in the device. If it is already plugged in when Linux boots, the message may be hard to find.

          Richard
        • AlienRelics
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 28, 2013
            Linux has a "desmeg" command? That'd come in helpful in Windows, but it'd probably erase most of the system.

            Wah, wah.

            Steve Greenfield AE7HD

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 28, 2013
              --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "AlienRelics" wrote:

              > Linux has a "desmeg" command? That'd come in helpful in Windows, but it'd probably erase most of the system.
              >
              > Wah, wah.
              >
              > Steve Greenfield AE7HD>

              dmesg is used to display all (?) system driver messages

              It's pretty handy!

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmesg

              There are a lot of things to like about Linux, particularly for the developer. I wish I knew more about how much stuff Win 7 logs.

              Another command that I use a lot is 'dd' which allows me to write a binary image to a device. This is a sector by sector transfer. Typically, I use this to copy a complete IBM 1130 disk image from my Linux hard drive to the compact flash device I use with my FPGA 1130 emulator. I can also read from the CF and save the image as a file. This tends to be rather convoluted with Windows.

              I can't just write willy-nilly to /dev/sdc without first knowing that it is, in fact, the CF device. After all, /dev/sda is probably my system hard drive. A little 'oops' here and the entire system is erased. When I plug in the CF, I use the dmesg command to find out what Linux has used to identify the device. VERY IMPORTANT STEP!

              There are some pretty handy tools in the Linux world!

              Richard
            • Engr. Rehmat Hazara
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 29, 2013
                Assalam-o-Alaikum,

                i have connected that through USB to serial converter, and when i am connecting it is showing COM1. i am using windows not Linux.
                the problem is that my device is not connecting properly. any idea.
                ??

                kind regards
                Engr. Rehmat Ullah

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 30, 2013
                  --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Engr. Rehmat Hazara" wrote:

                  > Assalam-o-Alaikum,
                  >

                  > i have connected that through USB to serial converter, and when i am connecting it is showing COM1. i am using windows not Linux.
                  > the problem is that my device is not connecting properly. any idea.
                  > ??

                  Without a manual, I can't help very much. I checked the web site and there was no link to a manual. Apparently everything is on the CD that comes with the board.

                  Does the uC you are using support serial programming? Have you read the datasheet? BTW, which device are you using?

                  Richard
                • Howard Hansen
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 30, 2013
                    On 1/29/2013 11:49 AM, Engr. Rehmat Hazara wrote:

                    > Assalam-o-Alaikum,
                    >
                    > i have connected that through USB to serial converter, and when i am
                    > connecting it is showing COM1. i am using windows not Linux.
                    > the problem is that my device is not connecting properly. any idea.
                    > ??
                    >
                    > kind regards
                    > Engr. Rehmat Ullah

                    If your trainer software is like the Arduino IDE there should be a menu
                    item that lets you select the COM Port. Hence check to see if your
                    trainer IDE is using the correct COM port.

                    You may also want to use the following software to help you trouble
                    shoot the problem.
                    <http://www.serial-port-monitor.com/>
                    I have found that this software is very helpful in trouble shooting
                    virtual COM port problems.

                    The other Howard

                    > ________________________________

                  • revelation.designs
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013
                      Hi Rehmat, verify that your USB serial port is assigned COM1 using device manager in control panel. If not the you can (sometimes) overide the selection made by windows and force the port to COM1 using the properties/settings of the port.
                      It should work after that.
                      Regards, Dave

                      --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Engr. Rehmat Hazara" wrote:

                      > Assalam-o-Alaikum,
                      >

                      > i have connected that through USB to serial converter, and when i am connecting it is showing COM1. i am using windows not Linux.
                      > the problem is that my device is not connecting properly. any idea.
                      > ??
                      >

                      > kind regards
                      > Engr. Rehmat Ullah
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Jong Kung
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013
                        Not all USB to serial design are created equal. They all work to communicate, but it seems that when they are used for other purposes (like programming chips) some of them won't work. I don't fully understand but that seems to be the problem (programming using USB-2-serial connection).

                        Jong.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013
                          Assalam-o-Alaikum,

                          dear brother , this is the schematic. no manuel is on CD, to get help

                          kind regards
                          Engr. Rehmat Ullah