new article: Low Cost Plastic Insulating Washers

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 27, 2013
      This article is intended for those new to our hobby. It details how to use
      punches and scrap plastic gift cards to make insulting washers. If you are
      interested, please see

      http://rick.sparber.org/hpw.pdf

      Your comments and questions are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one
      of us.

      For the full index of my articles, see rick.sparber.org.

      Rick

    • Larry Beaty
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 28, 2013
        Rick,

        Very clever. Well written.

        However, I have to use shoulder washers in that application to be sure the
        screw does not slide over and touch the metal.

        I have resigned meself to going ahead and buying the two size shoulder
        washers I need from Mouser. You get a bag of 100, long time of supply! My
        two sizes are 1: the insulator in a TO220 insulator kit and 2: an insulator
        for screws as shown on your drawing. Couple of bucks, not bad. But so
        handy!

        Now just be sure you put the bags where you can find them next time!

        Larry

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 28, 2013
          Also be sure to countersink or at least de-burr the hole!
          I've seen a number of shorts from burr, sometimes after years of
          flawless operation.

          Sometimes it is not about the cost of a part, but about the ability to
          make something right here, right now, from scraps you have on hand.

          ST

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 28, 2013
            Larry,

            Someone suggested using a short length of heat shrink around the bolt. That
            solves the problem of shorting. If I had this need often, I would buy or
            make shoulder washers. But most of my time is spent doing machining, not
            electronics. This doesn't count the last year when I was consumed by my
            electronic edge finder work. But that is (almost) behind me. I just have one
            more loose end - I plan to develop a DVM attachment that lets you measure
            milli ohms with a 20 mA test current. Then I hope to be done for a while.

            Rick

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 28, 2013
              Stefan,

              I agree on both counts.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 29, 2013
                Rick,

                You go boy! Our country needs more Builders! However you do it, DO IT!

                From: Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:3_in_1_Lathe_Mill_Drill%40yahoogroups.com> ;
                atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com <mailto:atlas_craftsman%40yahoogroups.com> ;
                Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Electronics_101%40yahoogroups.com> ;
                mill_drill@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mill_drill%40yahoogroups.com> ;
                smithy-machines@yahoogroups.com <mailto:smithy-machines%40yahoogroups.com> ;
                ValleyDIY@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ValleyDIY%40yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 29, 2013
                  Larry,

                  I completely agree. Towards this end, I team-teach a hands on engineering
                  class at a local community college. The students learn the basics of
                  designing in a group, some theory, how to solder, etch circuit boards, make
                  a simple processor, select and build sensors, build the payload enclosure,
                  test all of it, and then have their payloads pulled up to over 80,000 feet
                  by weather balloon. A parachute brings it back down. They then download the
                  data and evaluate it. The class is funded by NASA. Even students that do not
                  go on to become engineers get a lot out of it.

                  Here is a typical launch:

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfOiA_t1g2s