Re: automobile cigarette lighter

  • Andrew Mathison (Alice)
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 12, 2012
      Good points.

      But induction has got SO sophisticated over the last 10 years (I have been
      using induction for about 5 years and exclusively for 4 ears), and the units
      don't get hot, except for a tiny bit of heat back from the pots and pans.

      An electric cigarette lighter's element glows yellow hot!!!! It remains too
      hot to touch for almost a minute, at least on the one in my car, as far as I
      could tell! So I do not see anything about the safety of an induction hob
      there.....it's dangerous for quite some time....

      The differences are there for an open flame against a hot wire, but not
      enough to be safe....the situation where one might be fully OK and the other
      not I cannot imagine....

      I still say that a gas lighter is better as you cannot even throw them lit,
      unless you tape down the lever first, lit, and it would go out just from the
      air rush!!! So with an older person with bad hands the biggest problem is
      getting it lit, not shutting it off....

      You would still need smoke sensors, not just for an older person, BUT FOR
      ANY HOUSE OR APARTMENT where humans live, for safety reasons.....

      I will watch and read this blog just to see if there are significant
      improvements that make the idea viable.....I am sceptical....

      Have a great day.

      Regards

      Andy

      >While I agree with many thing you said but there are
      >benefits to electric heating devices over open flame
      >devices. My m-in-law is aging and she's constantly leaving
      >stuff on gas stove and forgetting it. She's even
      >caused few kitchen fires. So we are investigating induction
      >heating stove tops. I suspect the electric heated lighter
      > might similar benefits over gas lighters (basically less chance of a
      fire).
      >Overall it is an interesting problem (high powered device in small
      package).
    • dave_mucha
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 13, 2012
        one reason this group is so great is that people do not shoot down ideas out of hand. (did anyone ever get a bigger hand wheel to get more sound from a small radio?) of course there are a dozen better ways to light a cigarette.

        ST added some reality with engineering by questioning why people smoke while he offered suggestions. one could question the electric car in the same way. with gasoline so much easier and more compact, it makes more sense to use it as a power source.

        This is definitely on the edge. there is no hot market for such a device, but fundamentally, it is doable.

        as a note on technology, I was on the discharge end of a charged cap from a throw away flash camera. very high voltage that charged in a short period from a single 1.5v battery,

        interesting topic.

        Dave