automobile cigarette lighter

  • dave_mucha
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 10, 2012
      hi all,

      Has anyone thought of, seen, or made an automobile cigarette lighter that will work off the low current 'power' outlets?

      I was thinking about using a cap in the lighter.
      then when one pushes in the lighter, it starts to charge the cap.
      then, an LED would show it is ready(charged)
      one takes the lighter out and pushes a button and the cap is drained through a wire that will glow so one can light a cigarette.

      Dave

      ps: if you take this idea and run with it and make a new product. please remember where you got the idea and send me a prototype !
    • AlienRelics
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 10, 2012
        Interesting. I don't see why not. A smallish ultracapacitor with a limit on charging current can probably do this. Not the memory backup supercapacitors, their ESR is way too high.

        Steve Greenfield AE7HD

        --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "dave_mucha" <dave_mucha@...> wrote:

        > hi all,
        >
        > Has anyone thought of, seen, or made an automobile cigarette lighter that will work off the low current 'power' outlets?
        >
        > I was thinking about using a cap in the lighter.
        > then when one pushes in the lighter, it starts to charge the cap.
        > then, an LED would show it is ready(charged)
        > one takes the lighter out and pushes a button and the cap is drained through a wire that will glow so one can light a cigarette.
        >
        > Dave
        >
        > ps: if you take this idea and run with it and make a new product. please remember where you got the idea and send me a prototype !

      • Pict
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 10, 2012
          Interesting notion. But the filament has to be mechanically robust which
          would require significant current would it not? You couldn't fire up a
          stogie from a light bulb filament without breaking it. I think traditional
          cigarette lighter designs require 10 amps or so at 12volt for say 5 seconds
          to heat up. Unless there is a more efficient element design does that not
          give an insight into the energy required - that¹s 120 Farad at 12 Volt isn't
          it?. That¹s physically a rather large capacitor is it not and the discharge
          does not deliver a constant heating current without a DC-DC converter.

          Regards,
          John

          From: AlienRelics <alienrelics@...>
          Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 16:35:07 -0000
          To: <Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: [Electronics_101] Re: automobile cigarette lighter

          <mailto:Electronics_101%40yahoogroups.com> , "dave_mucha" <dave_mucha@...>
          wrote:

          > hi all,
          >
          > Has anyone thought of, seen, or made an automobile cigarette lighter that will
          work off the low current 'power' outlets?

          > I was thinking about using a cap in the lighter.
          > then when one pushes in the lighter, it starts to charge the cap.
          > then, an LED would show it is ready(charged)
          > one takes the lighter out and pushes a button and the cap is drained through a
          wire that will glow so one can light a cigarette.

          > Dave
          >
          > ps: if you take this idea and run with it and make a new product. please
          remember where you got the idea and send me a prototype !

        • Derward Myrick
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 10, 2012
            Back in the 1940s my Mother had a table cigarette lighter
            that was battery operated (this was a small hand size figure of
            a man) best I remember it had a very small wire that became
            red hot when you pressed the light button. Do not remember
            what battery was used but did not appear to use that much
            power.

            If you used a super capacitor of 12 VDC then a small constant
            current circuit that could keep the current constant down to a
            capacitor voltage of approximately 6 VDC I think it is doable.
            Big problem is to keep size down.

            Derward Myrick KD5WWI

            From: AlienRelics <alienrelics@...>
            Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 16:35:07 -0000
            To: <Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 10, 2012
              Obviously, this would be a special application. the old school car lighters had a large surface and thick coil. they had to cover a large range of cigars and cigarettes.

              For this more limited approach, one could have a smaller dia coil, designed for the cigarette. maybe a funnel to the smaller tip end ?

              Also, with a backing, mesh, to allow flow. the coil would not get mechanical abuse.

              also, it only needs to light 1 smoke at a time, so the parameters of work envelope is much smaller than the old school style.

              Dave

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 10, 2012
                Is anyone still smoking? I thought the smokers are all dead by now
                from natural selection.

                Anyway it doesn't take much to do this:
                <http://jurongusb.blogspot.co.at/2011/03/usb-cigarette-lighter-with-uv-light-10.html>

                You could use very thin nicrome wire and place it against an asbestos
                pad for a backstop so it doesn't get damaged, that should work well
                below an amp.
                Maybe start with a flashlight meant for the car power outlet and just
                replace the bulb or LED.

                But hey, why bother, just stop smoking.

                ST

                On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 8:46 PM, dave_mucha <dave_mucha@...> wrote:
                > Obviously, this would be a special application. the old school car lighters had a large surface and thick coil. they had to cover a large range of cigars and cigarettes.
                >
                > For this more limited approach, one could have a smaller dia coil, designed for the cigarette. maybe a funnel to the smaller tip end ?
                >
                > Also, with a backing, mesh, to allow flow. the coil would not get mechanical abuse.
                >
                > also, it only needs to light 1 smoke at a time, so the parameters of work envelope is much smaller than the old school style.
                >
                > Dave

              • terramir
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 10, 2012
                  I remember when I was a kid, well teen and I was smoking sometimes I didn't have a lighter so I used a HO (train) transformer and some thin speaker wire light my cigarette at times those ho transformers only deliver like 3 A max at 12 V and with the resistance of the wire I doubt more than 1/2 amp ws flowing through this wire was like 20-28ish in gauge however if you can find a backing asbestos is bad for your health I'd use some sort of rock wool based sheet rock instead you should be able to make that work., however the coil would probably have limited uses depending on the thickness of the wire so you might want to make this replacable. the thinner the wire the less current you will need to create the temp you want but the less sturdy it will be it's a trade-off. using steel wire will make it more sturdy than using copper or aluminum. but it should be doable. I've been thinking about this same project for years and years. but the waste in batteries is
                  what held me back. using a supercap and maybe a modified joule thief circuit to create a low voltage high current situation might however solve some of the problems.my $.02terramir

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 10, 2012
                    The new lighter doesn't have to share same parameters. Just think, if you were to take the light bulb out of the traditional pen flashlight, it might be just enough to light part of a cigarette. As long as small part the tip of the cigarette was on fire it will spread and eventually the whole tip will be lit.

                    When I was younger, I made the mistake of shorting an AA battery with a short piece of wire. The wire burned my fingers. I was shocked how much power AA battery can put out. The second time I used long nose pliers to hold the hot wire. The wire hot RED hot!!!! So, instead of a large capacitor, I would think charging up a small battery is a better idea.

                    Jong

                    On Dec 10, 2012, at 7:21 AM, Pict <pict@...> wrote:

                    > I think traditional
                    > cigarette lighter designs require 10 amps or so at 12volt for say 5 seconds
                    > to heat up. Unless there is a more efficient element design does that not
                    > give an insight into the energy required - that¹s 120 Farad at 12 Volt isn't
                    > it?.
                  • Jeffrey Engel
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 10, 2012
                      I think this is one of those cases where electronics isn't the best solution.  Your suggestions are all pretty good and sound workable, but in the end you have a large, fairly fragile device.

                      Compare that to a Zippo.  Cheap, robust, inexpensive to operate, extremely portable and has a certain amount of style.
                      Or kitchen matches ir you're a cigar smoker.

                      Jeff "heretic" Engel

                      Happiness is - positive intake manifold pressure.

                      ________________________________

                      From: AlienRelics <alienrelics@...>
                      Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 16:35:07 -0000
                      To: <Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com>

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 10, 2012
                        asbestos.. smoke....asbestos...smoke....

                        ok, I'm thinking......

                        > You could use very thin nicrome wire and place it against an asbestos
                        > pad

                        > But hey, why bother, just stop smoking.

                      • Jong Kung
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 10, 2012
                          Jeff,

                          >> I think this is one of those cases where
                          >> electronics isn't the best solution.
                          >> Compare that to a Zippo. Cheap, robust,
                          >> inexpensive to operate, extremely
                          >> portable and has a certain amount of style.

                          There are times I don't get people's requests or fascination of powering stuff from USB port (as per ST's links).

                          But hey it is an interesting problem (low power input, high power output) and doable.

                          ====

                          In the end, outside of this being an interesting problem, I agree. This is a problem easier solved using a cheap zippo.

                          On Dec 10, 2012, at 3:08 PM, Jeffrey Engel <jengeltx@...> wrote:

                          > I think this is one of those cases where electronics isn't the best solution. Your suggestions are all pretty good and sound workable, but in the end you have a large, fairly fragile device.
                          >
                          > Compare that to a Zippo. Cheap, robust, inexpensive to operate, extremely portable and has a certain amount of style.
                          > Or kitchen matches ir you're a cigar smoker
                        • Andrew Mathison (Alice)
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 11, 2012
                            I hate to be negative, but the power needed and the cost of a DC 2 DC
                            converter make it just an idea for mind games. It is otherwise a totally
                            impractical idea, sadly.

                            A small amount of money spent on a cheap Butane cigarette lighter is a far
                            better way to light your cigarettes.

                            Why you may ask?

                            1) Gas lighter in weight, fits in the pocket or sits in the car ready for
                            use.

                            2) If it slips out of your fingers, or a road "situation" happens, it snaps
                            off as soon as your finger/thumb is removed. A red hot car cigarette lighter
                            between the legs, especially if you are wearing shots, could be very painful
                            indeed. Handling either could be termed dangerous when driving in some
                            countries, it is also well-known that smoking is hazardous anyway, why make
                            it even more dangerous?

                            3) On price, there is no comparison, a replacement electric cigarette
                            lighter will probably cost more than 20 of those cheap refillable lighters,
                            plus we have not taken into account the electronics and the time
                            involved....

                            These ideas are good to bandy around, I am sure that many of us do it all
                            the time, but probably 9 out of 10 never see the light of day. At least this
                            one has been discussed online!!

                            Regards

                            Andy
                          • Jong Kung
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 11, 2012
                              While I agree with many thing you said but there are benefits to electric heating devices over open flame devices. My m-in-law is aging and she's constantly leaving stuff on gas stove and forgetting it. She's even caused few kitchen fires. So we are investigating induction heating stove tops. I suspect the electric heated lighter might similar benefits over gas lighters (basically less chance of a fire).

                              Overall it is an interesting problem (high powered device in small package).

                              Jong

                              On Dec 10, 2012, at 11:15 PM, "Andrew Mathison \(Alice\)" <mathison@...> wrote:

                              > 3) On price, there is no comparison, a replacement electric cigarette
                              > lighter will probably cost more than 20 of those cheap refillable lighters,
                              > plus we have not taken into account the electronics and the time
                              > involved....
                            • Tony Mikolaj
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 11, 2012
                                --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "dave_mucha" <dave_mucha@...> wrote:

                                > Has anyone thought of, seen, or made an automobile cigarette lighter that will work off the low current 'power' outlets?

                                Sorry but this begs the question, Why? the ones in the car work fine, don't cost much, last a long time, the high power output is available and there already.
                                While it may be doable, this seems more like a solution looking for a problem. Of course you could just give up smoking then there won't even be a problem.

                                Tony
                              • Andrew Mathison (Alice)
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 12, 2012
                                  Good points.

                                  But induction has got SO sophisticated over the last 10 years (I have been
                                  using induction for about 5 years and exclusively for 4 ears), and the units
                                  don't get hot, except for a tiny bit of heat back from the pots and pans.

                                  An electric cigarette lighter's element glows yellow hot!!!! It remains too
                                  hot to touch for almost a minute, at least on the one in my car, as far as I
                                  could tell! So I do not see anything about the safety of an induction hob
                                  there.....it's dangerous for quite some time....

                                  The differences are there for an open flame against a hot wire, but not
                                  enough to be safe....the situation where one might be fully OK and the other
                                  not I cannot imagine....

                                  I still say that a gas lighter is better as you cannot even throw them lit,
                                  unless you tape down the lever first, lit, and it would go out just from the
                                  air rush!!! So with an older person with bad hands the biggest problem is
                                  getting it lit, not shutting it off....

                                  You would still need smoke sensors, not just for an older person, BUT FOR
                                  ANY HOUSE OR APARTMENT where humans live, for safety reasons.....

                                  I will watch and read this blog just to see if there are significant
                                  improvements that make the idea viable.....I am sceptical....

                                  Have a great day.

                                  Regards

                                  Andy

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 13, 2012
                                    one reason this group is so great is that people do not shoot down ideas out of hand. (did anyone ever get a bigger hand wheel to get more sound from a small radio?) of course there are a dozen better ways to light a cigarette.

                                    ST added some reality with engineering by questioning why people smoke while he offered suggestions. one could question the electric car in the same way. with gasoline so much easier and more compact, it makes more sense to use it as a power source.

                                    This is definitely on the edge. there is no hot market for such a device, but fundamentally, it is doable.

                                    as a note on technology, I was on the discharge end of a charged cap from a throw away flash camera. very high voltage that charged in a short period from a single 1.5v battery,

                                    interesting topic.

                                    Dave