Re: possibly OT: Final versions of my Lathe Electronic Edge Finder (can be used on other machines too)

  • Kerim F
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 20, 2012
      Thank you Rick for sharing your work again, it seems you don't give up easily or be satisfied at a certain level ;)
      And as before, I couldn't download your PDF files directly from your site :(

      Kerim

      --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Sparber" <rgsparber@...> wrote:

      > Special Note: this is OT for the Gingery site. Please send any questions or
      > comments off line to me.
      >

      > It took me about a day to perfect the Model 1 Lathe Electronic Edge Finder.
      > It is compatible with machines that have a spindle resistance of greater
      > than 3 ohms. Model 2 performs the same function but handles spindle
      > resistances down to 0.01 ohms. It took me about 6 months of effort working 6
      > days a week to get it right. So I am very happy and relieved to finally have
      > a design that works.
      >

      > If you have a lathe, then you can read these articles as is. If you have a
      > mill or shaper, then just understand that these circuits detect when the
      > cutter contacts the workpiece. No modification is needed to the cutter or
      > machine.
      >

      > If you are not familiar with machining and want to learn about analog
      > circuit design, then most of these articles apply to you. I have tried to
      > write them for people with a wide range of backgrounds.
      >

      > http://rick.sparber.org/LEEF_Model_1.pdf
      >

      > http://rick.sparber.org/LEEF_Model_2.pdf
      >

      > Component selection and board layouts were masterfully done by Mark Cason.
      > He has generously allowed me to publish his artwork in these articles. He is
      > also planning to have boards made and sell both kits and finished models. I
      > don't know the final prices, but can tell you that the Model 1 cost about $3
      > in parts and 50 cents for the board. The Model 2 cost about $17 in parts and
      > $3 for the board.
      >

      > At the present time, we are looking for beta testers. If you are interested,
      > please contact me directly.
      >

      > Rick Sparber
      >
      > rgsparber@...

    • Rick Sparber
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 20, 2012
        Kerim,

        As my friend Dan told me, "I'm like a dog with a bone".

        I'll send you a copy of the file directly. Sure wish we could figure that
        one out.

        Rick

        wrote:

        > Special Note: this is OT for the Gingery site. Please send any
        > questions or comments off line to me.
        >

        > It took me about a day to perfect the Model 1 Lathe Electronic Edge
        Finder.
        > It is compatible with machines that have a spindle resistance of
        > greater than 3 ohms. Model 2 performs the same function but handles
        > spindle resistances down to 0.01 ohms. It took me about 6 months of
        > effort working 6 days a week to get it right. So I am very happy and
        > relieved to finally have a design that works.
        >

        > If you have a lathe, then you can read these articles as is. If you
        > have a mill or shaper, then just understand that these circuits detect
        > when the cutter contacts the workpiece. No modification is needed to
        > the cutter or machine.
        >

        > If you are not familiar with machining and want to learn about analog
        > circuit design, then most of these articles apply to you. I have tried
        > to write them for people with a wide range of backgrounds.
        >

        > http://rick.sparber.org/LEEF_Model_1.pdf
        >

        > http://rick.sparber.org/LEEF_Model_2.pdf
        >

        > Component selection and board layouts were masterfully done by Mark Cason.
        > He has generously allowed me to publish his artwork in these articles.
        > He is also planning to have boards made and sell both kits and
        > finished models. I don't know the final prices, but can tell you that
        > the Model 1 cost about $3 in parts and 50 cents for the board. The
        > Model 2 cost about $17 in parts and
        > $3 for the board.
        >

        > At the present time, we are looking for beta testers. If you are
        > interested, please contact me directly.
        >

        > Rick Sparber
        >
        > rgsparber@...

      • StoneTool
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 20, 2012
          Next to make one that will detect when the center of a shaft is true
          with the center of your arbor on a mill....

          Howard

        • Rick Sparber
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 20, 2012
            Howard,

            Are you talking about Total Indicated Runout? If so, it is hard to beat a
            Dial Test Indicator.

            Rick

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 20, 2012
              Thank you Rick.

              I got your "Lathe Electronic Edge Finder, Model 2, version 0.1". I didn't read it yet but it looks great.

              I wrote you here because I couldn't reply you directly on Yahoo (I am not sure why).

              Best whishes,