Re: "New to the Group"

  • Charles Senf
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 18, 2012
      Folks, the subject line!
      Change the Subject Line to Reflect the topic, please.
      OP has some specific questions that are disguised as a "welcome" chat.

    • herpsrwe
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 18, 2012
        Hi All,

        In response to another's request... I have changed the Subject line to reflect my need for information regarding a specific piece of equipment, which holds a US Patent, therefore I believe it to be unique.
        Like no other... Of it's own design, requiring exact replication of the circuit using components the factory used in 1978... Otherwise, it will require a deeper understanding of electronics and radio transmission. Straying too far from the given path would seem to require more testing, more equipment to test with and the ability to use the equipment. I was hoping to keep it simple by doing as the factory did, or would have done in that time period.
        I am determined to complete the task and have become more encouraged by the information I have been provided by members here for which I am gratefull...
        Thanks again for making this project seem so much more do-able thus far...

        Bill
      • D. Daniel McGlothin
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 18, 2012
          Bill,

          > a specific piece of equipment, which holds a US Patent, therefore I
          > believe it to be unique.
          > Like no other... Of it's own design, requiring exact replication of
          > the circuit using components the factory used in 1978

          I read the patent. The important thing that the patent claims is the
          means of making the autotacking computation of the SWR. The patent
          verbiage gives credit as prior art to Bruene's directional coupler in
          the "Description of the Preferred Embodiment", first paragraph.

          The remote sensor is simply a variation of a Bruene coupler--while
          important, it is not the subject of the patent. You have in the
          indicator, which contains the part that is particularly patented.

          Just build the remote sensor as described in the schematic you have and
          you will have a working ASM-1. No magic or special sauce involved.
          Sorta takes the romance away, though, doesn't it?

          However, if you goal is to have a 100% authentic piece of vintage
          equipment, then other considerations may govern.

          Daniel KB3MUNB