Re: [Electronics_101] steppers

  • jeremy youngs
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 4 4:04 PM
      I plan on driving them through parallel port with emc, and yes I am an
      excellent solderer

      On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 6:54 PM, mark hubrich <meistro57@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > How do you plan to drive them? You can save yourself time and aggravation
      > by purchasing a cnc driver kit. Do you have soldering experience?
      >
      > On Jun 4, 2012 7:35 AM, "Stefan Trethan" <stefan_trethan@...> wrote:
      >
      > **
      >

      > google for "jones on stepping motors".
      > I believe he has discrete schematics.
      >
      > ST
      >
      > On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 3:50 AM, jcyoungs04 <jcyoungs76@...> wrote: >
      > Hello guys, Ive spent ...

      jeremy youngs

    • Jamie Cunningham
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 4 4:15 PM
        You can also save some aggrivation by using a Pololu stepper driver that
        you can feed step and direction signals to and it handles the rest - I
        built a stepper driver using a Parallax Propeller and Pololu Stepper driver
        - easy :)

        Jamie
        Check out my CNC projects (and more) at http://www.backyardworkshop.com

        On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 6:54 PM, mark hubrich <meistro57@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > How do you plan to drive them? You can save yourself time and aggravation
        > by purchasing a cnc driver kit. Do you have soldering experience?
        >
        > On Jun 4, 2012 7:35 AM, "Stefan Trethan" <stefan_trethan@...> wrote:
        >
        > **
        >
        > google for "jones on stepping motors".
        > I believe he has discrete schematics.
        >
        > ST
        >
        > On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 3:50 AM, jcyoungs04 <jcyoungs76@...> wrote: >
        > Hello guys, Ive spent ...

      • mark hubrich
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 4 8:27 PM
          The kit I started with was the 4AUPC 4axis board from
          http://www.hobbycnc.com/products/hobbycnc-pro-chopper-driver-board-kits/

          Actually I'm still using it 3 years later. I have used it with EMC and Mach
          3. Its driving an old Toshiba pick and place robot that I replaced the
          servos with 304oz 3.5amp stepper motors. The 1 inch per turn ball screws
          make it extremely fast at low stepper speeds with great tourqe. Steppers
          operate strongest at slower speeds.

          For 4 channels, you can't go wrong with board for the price. Plus the
          3.5amps is nice. I put an old JVC heatsink from a tuner on mine to aid in
          cooling and run it at max amperage.

          I did blow a driver chip due to my stupidity. Dave at HCNC sold me another
          chip and within few days had the axis back going. The 4th axis chip was my
          Y axis for those few days just by changing the pin assignments in the
          software and moving the motor plug.

          These boards are a bargain and I'll vouch for em'. :)

          On Jun 4, 2012 6:22 PM, "jeremy youngs" <jcyoungs76@...> wrote:

          **

          I plan on driving them through parallel port with emc, and yes I am an
          excellent solderer

          ** > >

          --
          jeremy youngs

        • Jamie Cunningham
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 5 3:09 AM
            Yes I'll vouch for HobbyCNC products too - I have the HobbyCNC Pro that I
            assembled probably 4 years ago now and it's still going strong too!

            Dave is a little harsh on tech support sometimes - but the product is solid
            :)

            On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 11:27 PM, mark hubrich <meistro57@...> wrote:

            > The kit I started with was the 4AUPC 4axis board from
            > http://www.hobbycnc.com/products/hobbycnc-pro-chopper-driver-board-kits/
            >
            > Actually I'm still using it 3 years later. I have used it with EMC and Mach
            > 3. Its driving an old Toshiba pick and place robot that I replaced the
            > servos with 304oz 3.5amp stepper motors. The 1 inch per turn ball screws
            > make it extremely fast at low stepper speeds with great tourqe. Steppers
            > operate strongest at slower speeds.
            >
            > For 4 channels, you can't go wrong with board for the price. Plus the
            > 3.5amps is nice. I put an old JVC heatsink from a tuner on mine to aid in
            > cooling and run it at max amperage.
            >
            > I did blow a driver chip due to my stupidity. Dave at HCNC sold me another
            > chip and within few days had the axis back going. The 4th axis chip was my
            > Y axis for those few days just by changing the pin assignments in the
            > software and moving the motor plug.
            >
            > These boards are a bargain and I'll vouch for em'. :)
            >
            > On Jun 4, 2012 6:22 PM, "jeremy youngs" <jcyoungs76@...> wrote:
            >
            > **
            >

            > I plan on driving them through parallel port with emc, and yes I am an
            > excellent solderer
            >
            > On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 6:54 PM, mark hubrich <meistro57@...> wrote:
            > >
            > ** > >
            >
            > > How do you plan to drive them? You can save yourself time and aggravation
            > > by purchasing a cnc dr...
            > > **

            > schematics. > > ST > > On ...
            >
            > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > >
            > --
            > jeremy youngs

          • Andrew Mathison (Alice)
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 5 4:52 AM
              What do you have against chips? There are some really good chips around that
              will drive up to 3 amp motors and need very little external components, all
              you need to supply is a direction and a step signal from your Printer Port.
              They are also good for microstepping as well that is difficult using
              discrete components..

              May I suggest a relatively modern chip called a SLA7070M from Allegro. The
              good point about these chips are that no external sense resistor is needed
              (a problem area for many when using "lesser" chips!)

              Look here for applications and data sheets:-

              http://www.sanken-ele.co.jp/en/prod/semicon/pdf/apli_sla7070me.pdf

              It is quite easy to use these chips or to buy a kit of parts using them..

              Regards

              Andy

            • Jamie Cunningham
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 5 5:20 AM
                Thanks for the link Andy! When I was looking for solutions for my power
                drive idea I didn't find these chips - wow - they look like a really good
                solution! Now I'm off to get me some and make something move! :)

                Jamie
                Check out my CNC projects (and more) at http://www.backyardworkshop.com

                On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 7:52 AM, Andrew Mathison (Alice)
                <mathison@...>wrote:

                > **
                >

                > What do you have against chips? There are some really good chips around
                > that
                > will drive up to 3 amp motors and need very little external components, all
                > you need to supply is a direction and a step signal from your Printer Port.
                > They are also good for microstepping as well that is difficult using
                > discrete components..
                >
                > May I suggest a relatively modern chip called a SLA7070M from Allegro. The
                > good point about these chips are that no external sense resistor is needed
                > (a problem area for many when using "lesser" chips!)
                >
                > Look here for applications and data sheets:-
                >
                > http://www.sanken-ele.co.jp/en/prod/semicon/pdf/apli_sla7070me.pdf
                >
                > It is quite easy to use these chips or to buy a kit of parts using them..
                >
                > Regards
                >
                > Andy

              • Jamie Cunningham
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 5 5:36 AM
                  ah well I looked into those SLA7070 chips and #1 I can't find them - do you
                  have a source that sells a few?

                  and #2 they are unipolar drivers and generally for my applications I need
                  as much torque as I can get so they may not be the most optimum solution :/
                  is there a bipolar alternative chip? :)

                  I think I would still like to play with them anyway :)

                  On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 7:15 PM, Jamie Cunningham <jamie@...
                  > wrote:

                  > You can also save some aggrivation by using a Pololu stepper driver that
                  > you can feed step and direction signals to and it handles the rest - I
                  > built a stepper driver using a Parallax Propeller and Pololu Stepper driver
                  > - easy :)
                  >
                  > Jamie
                  > Check out my CNC projects (and more) at http://www.backyardworkshop.com
                  >

                  > On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 6:54 PM, mark hubrich <meistro57@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> **
                  >>

                  >> How do you plan to drive them? You can save yourself time and aggravation
                  >> by purchasing a cnc driver kit. Do you have soldering experience?
                  >>
                  >> On Jun 4, 2012 7:35 AM, "Stefan Trethan" <stefan_trethan@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> **
                  >>
                  >> google for "jones on stepping motors".
                  >> I believe he has discrete schematics.
                  >>
                  >> ST
                  >>
                  >> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 3:50 AM, jcyoungs04 <jcyoungs76@...> wrote:
                  >> >
                  >> Hello guys, Ive spent ...

                • Jamie Cunningham
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 5 5:43 AM
                    LOL I feel like I'm talking to myself LOL Sorry for th eback to back
                    replies - I suppose I should figure out what I want to say BEFORE hitting
                    send? hehe

                    one more thing and then I'll let somebody else talk LOL

                    I JUST looked and it turns out the HobbyCNC products (that I use and said
                    were good) ARE Unipolar too so I guess the SLA chips ARE a solid
                    alternative and please forget what I said about torque (although I would
                    like more torque and now I'm looking to replace my HobbyCNC controller
                    with Gecko drivers) LOL

                    On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 8:36 AM, Jamie Cunningham <jamie@...
                    > wrote:

                    > ah well I looked into those SLA7070 chips and #1 I can't find them - do
                    > you have a source that sells a few?
                    >
                    > and #2 they are unipolar drivers and generally for my applications I need
                    > as much torque as I can get so they may not be the most optimum solution :/
                    > is there a bipolar alternative chip? :)
                    >
                    > I think I would still like to play with them anyway :)
                    >

                    > Jamie
                    > Check out my CNC projects (and more) at http://www.backyardworkshop.com
                    >

                    > On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 7:15 PM, Jamie Cunningham <
                    > jamie@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> You can also save some aggrivation by using a Pololu stepper driver that
                    >> you can feed step and direction signals to and it handles the rest - I
                    >> built a stepper driver using a Parallax Propeller and Pololu Stepper driver
                    >> - easy :)
                    >>
                    >> Jamie
                    >> Check out my CNC projects (and more) at http://www.backyardworkshop.com
                    >>

                    >> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 6:54 PM, mark hubrich <meistro57@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> **
                    >>>

                    >>> How do you plan to drive them? You can save yourself time and aggravation
                    >>> by purchasing a cnc driver kit. Do you have soldering experience?
                    >>>
                    >>> On Jun 4, 2012 7:35 AM, "Stefan Trethan" <stefan_trethan@...> wrote:
                    >>>
                    >>> **
                    >>>
                    >>> google for "jones on stepping motors".
                    >>> I believe he has discrete schematics.
                    >>>
                    >>> ST
                    >>>
                    >>> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 3:50 AM, jcyoungs04 <jcyoungs76@...>
                    >>> wrote: >
                    >>> Hello guys, Ive spent ...

                  • jeremy youngs
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 5 5:54 AM
                      What do you have against chips? 11 A motor is my issue with chips

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 5 5:59 AM
                        --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Jamie Cunningham <jamie@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks for the link Andy! When I was looking for solutions for my power
                        > drive idea I didn't find these chips - wow - they look like a really good
                        > solution! Now I'm off to get me some and make something move! :)
                        >
                        > Jamie

                        I thought you said you had 9 amp motors. The SLA7070 series will only handle up to 3 amps.

                        It looks like the Gecko drives max out at 7 amps.

                        Richard
                      • Jamie Cunningham
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 5 6:03 AM
                          I am not the OP - my steppers are 3A :) (and I have a bunch that are less
                          that I play around with)

                          On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 8:59 AM, rtstofer <rstofer@...> wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Jamie Cunningham <jamie@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for the link Andy! When I was looking for solutions for my power
                          > > drive idea I didn't find these chips - wow - they look like a really good
                          > > solution! Now I'm off to get me some and make something move! :)
                          > >
                          > > Jamie
                          >
                          > I thought you said you had 9 amp motors. The SLA7070 series will only
                          > handle up to 3 amps.
                          >
                          > It looks like the Gecko drives max out at 7 amps.
                          >
                          > Richard

                        • jeremy youngs
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 5 6:08 AM
                            i double checked and found myself in error, they are 1.8 v 11 A , 6 wire
                            unipolar. I dont get amps per phase, the # of phases is not descripted on
                            these motors btw thank you all for your input.One last Q im running a 9x 42
                            mill table, of course bigger is usually better but do I need 450 oz in? Im
                            just thinking I found a setup complete at 250 oz in for 100, I got the 450
                            for a very reasonable price but this 11A is kinda dragging me along. I
                            really want to get this thing together soon and if 250 will move the table
                            upward of 40 ipm im happy then can work on a better setup thanx

                          • mark hubrich
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 5 6:28 AM
                              I have nothing against chips at all :)
                              I have a bunch I'm playing with. TI Piccalo chips are pretty cool too. They
                              pack more than just a driver. I am just a hobbiest messing around so don't
                              take my text as a professional opinion please. I do have some pretty cool
                              CNC projects though. :-)

                              On Jun 5, 2012 8:03 AM, "Jamie Cunningham" <jamie@...>
                              wrote:

                              I am not the OP - my steppers are 3A :) (and I have a bunch that are less
                              that I play around with)

                              Jamie Check out my CNC projects (and more) at
                              http://www.backyardworkshop.com
                              On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 8:59 AM, rtstofer <rstofer@...> wrote:

                              > **

                              > wrote: > > > > Than...

                            • jeremy youngs
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 5 7:22 AM
                                I received a message back from linux cnc. it showed me some stepgen
                                possibilities and appears as though lcnc is capable of driving h bridge
                                directly, with 50 irl 520s laying around im tempted to try this later this
                                week, so Im off to radioshack to see what they have for opto isolators

                                --
                                jeremy youngs

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 5 8:39 AM
                                  On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 09:08:35 -0400, you wrote:

                                  >i double checked and found myself in error, they are 1.8 v 11 A , 6 wire
                                  >unipolar. I dont get amps per phase, the # of phases is not descripted on
                                  >these motors btw thank you all for your input.One last Q im running a 9x 42
                                  >mill table, of course bigger is usually better but do I need 450 oz in? Im
                                  >just thinking I found a setup complete at 250 oz in for 100, I got the 450
                                  >for a very reasonable price but this 11A is kinda dragging me along. I
                                  >really want to get this thing together soon and if 250 will move the table
                                  >upward of 40 ipm im happy then can work on a better setup thanx

                                  You might want to check with the gecko WEB page; lots of good info there.

                                  Try posting on CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com or the gecko
                                  group and ask how much torque you really need; it may not be the whole 11A.

                                  Keith Bowers WB4LSJ- Thomasville, NC
                                • Howard Hansen
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 5 10:36 AM
                                    On 6/3/2012 8:50 PM, jcyoungs04 wrote:

                                    > Hello guys, Ive spent three days perusing the net and looking through
                                    > the archives here does any one know wher I can find a discrete stepper
                                    > driver schematic? I have about 50 irl 520 n chan mosfet and 9 amp
                                    > motors im moving a large mill table with them and really need all the
                                    > performance I can get thanx.

                                    Most likely you won't find a discrete stepper motor driver schematic
                                    with 9 amp output capability. Hence I suggest you look at the following
                                    block diagram for ides that can be used to beef up the output capability
                                    of any schematics you find.
                                    <http://www.ti.com/solution/motor_control_stepper_motor>
                                    In particular Isolators and MOSFET Drivers.

                                    Howard

                                  • Andrew Mathison (Alice)
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 7 10:32 AM
                                      You asked for discrete components, which means really that my answer was
                                      wrong as chips are NOT discrete componenents..glad to have been of use.

                                      By the way, the chips are sometimes found on ebay for around $20 each (saves
                                      a lot of development!) from HONG KONG..

                                      Regards

                                      Andy

                                    • Andrew Mathison (Alice)
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jun 7 10:48 AM
                                        Look here:-

                                        http://www.allegromicro.com/en/Products/Sanken-Products/Sanken-ICs/Sanken-Mo
                                        tor-Driver-ICs/Sanken-Stepper-Motor-Unipolar-Driver-ICs.aspx

                                        http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/stepper/SLAm/SLAm_bld.htm

                                        http://cypress-oem.en.alibaba.com/product/374733802-209400156/SLA7070.html

                                        Look around with Google too..

                                        Regards

                                        Andy

                                      • jeremy youngs
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jun 24 3:46 PM
                                          just a note on this the solution was purchase a chinese kit from e bay,
                                          this works for now thanx guys

                                          On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Andrew Mathison (Alice)
                                          <mathison@...>wrote:

                                          > **
                                          >

                                          > You asked for discrete components, which means really that my answer was
                                          > wrong as chips are NOT discrete componenents..glad to have been of use.
                                          >
                                          > By the way, the chips are sometimes found on ebay for around $20 each
                                          > (saves
                                          > a lot of development!) from HONG KONG..
                                          >
                                          > Regards
                                          >
                                          > Andy

                                          jeremy youngs

                                        • jeremy youngs
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 1, 2012
                                            just wanted to chime in and say thanx , Ive got the chinese drives and
                                            motors working. Now i can make some parts and work on some higher voltage
                                            drivers!!!!!!!!!! lol . first i needed current now voltage go figure, the
                                            bright side it all works right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                            --
                                            jeremy youngs

                                          • dave_mucha
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 1, 2012
                                              which ones did you get ?
                                              how are they working for you ?

                                              Dave

                                              --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, jeremy youngs <jcyoungs76@...> wrote:

                                              > just wanted to chime in and say thanx , Ive got the chinese drives and
                                              > motors working. Now i can make some parts and work on some higher voltage
                                              > drivers!!!!!!!!!! lol . first i needed current now voltage go figure, the
                                              > bright side it all works right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                              >

                                              > --
                                              > jeremy youngs

                                            • jeremy youngs
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 2, 2012
                                                i bought the 1600 oz in longs bipolar with d2hb882mb drivers. The set up
                                                was less than straight forward and the drives are active on rise and fall
                                                so your steps will be 1/2 of whats calculated it took me about 3 days to
                                                calibrate the axis but having done it it would only take an hour or so now

                                                On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 11:52 PM, dave_mucha <dave_mucha@...> wrote:

                                                > **
                                                >

                                                > which ones did you get ?
                                                > how are they working for you ?
                                                >
                                                > Dave
                                                >

                                                > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, jeremy youngs <jcyoungs76@...>
                                                > wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > just wanted to chime in and say thanx , Ive got the chinese drives and
                                                > > motors working. Now i can make some parts and work on some higher voltage
                                                > > drivers!!!!!!!!!! lol . first i needed current now voltage go figure, the
                                                > > bright side it all works right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                                > >

                                                > > --
                                                > > jeremy youngs

                                                jeremy youngs