Re: new article: A Mechanical Fuse for your Laptop

  • John
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2012
      That is definately a Gold Star innovation and the artical is also well
      done!

      I am not too sure about the availability of the connectors used by some
      laptops though. It may be that the only source is to use the ones from
      the power supplies. An inline coaxial pair would be ideal but my
      experience with soldering the wires in most cables has not been good...
      enough heat to melt solder is too much for the insulation! I will work
      on that skill...

      Thanks for sharing!

      BTW, I am not familiar with Apple. How come they don't have the problem?

      --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Sparber" <rgsparber@...>

      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2012
        A nice simple solution to an annoying problem.

        They do make cables that could be used as-is:
        <http://image.made-in-china.com/2f1j00hKWQGjfcOEbl/Female-Straight-DC-Socket-to-Male-Right-Angles-DC-Plug-Power-Cord.jpg>

        Apple used magnets so that the plug comes off easily, but you can do a
        lot if you have that much profit margin and are not limited to
        off-the-shelf components.

        If I can't avoid the cable I tend to wind it around the table leg so
        anyone tripping will not pull down whatever is connected.

        ST

        On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:33 PM, John <jferrell13@...> wrote:

        > That is definately a Gold Star innovation and the artical is also well
        > done!
        >
        > I am not too sure about the availability of the connectors used by some
        > laptops though.  It may be that the only source is to use the ones from
        > the power supplies. An inline coaxial pair would be ideal but my
        > experience with soldering the wires in most cables has not been good...
        > enough heat to melt solder is too much for the insulation!  I will work
        > on that skill...
        >
        > Thanks for sharing!
        >
        > BTW, I am not familiar with Apple. How come they don't have the problem?
        >

        > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Sparber" <rgsparber@...>
        > wrote:
        >>
        >> This article presents a really awful design choice related to
        > non-Apple
        >> laptops and then offers a simple fix.
        >>

        >> If you are interested, please see
        >>

        >> http://rick.sparber.org/electronics/mfu.pdf
        >>

        >> Your comments and questions are welcome. All of us are smarter than
        > any one
        >> of us.
        >>

        >> Rick
        >>
        >> rgsparber@...
        >>
        >> rick.sparber.org

      • James M. Geidl
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2012
          Just be careful because some laptops, Dell specifically, use a 3 conductor
          cable and connector.

          James M. Geidl, K6JMG
          D.B. Cooper, you have a message.

          A nice simple solution to an annoying problem.

          They do make cables that could be used as-is:
          <http://image.made-in-china.com/2f1j00hKWQGjfcOEbl/Female-Straight-DC-Socket
          -to-Male-Right-Angles-DC-Plug-Power-Cord.jpg>

          Apple used magnets so that the plug comes off easily, but you can do a lot
          if you have that much profit margin and are not limited to off-the-shelf
          components.

          If I can't avoid the cable I tend to wind it around the table leg so anyone
          tripping will not pull down whatever is connected.

          ST

          On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:33 PM, John <jferrell13@...> wrote:

          > That is definately a Gold Star innovation and the artical is also well
          > done!
          >
          > I am not too sure about the availability of the connectors used by
          > some laptops though.  It may be that the only source is to use the
          > ones from the power supplies. An inline coaxial pair would be ideal
          > but my experience with soldering the wires in most cables has not been
          good...
          > enough heat to melt solder is too much for the insulation!  I will
          > work on that skill...
          >
          > Thanks for sharing!
          >
          > BTW, I am not familiar with Apple. How come they don't have the problem?
          >

          > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Sparber" <rgsparber@...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> This article presents a really awful design choice related to
          > non-Apple
          >> laptops and then offers a simple fix.
          >>

          >> If you are interested, please see
          >>

          >> http://rick.sparber.org/electronics/mfu.pdf
          >>

          >> Your comments and questions are welcome. All of us are smarter than
          > any one
          >> of us.
          >>

          >> Rick
          >>
          >> rgsparber@...
          >>
          >> rick.sparber.org

        • jong kung
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2012

            > Apple used magnets so that the plug comes off easily,
            > but you can do a lot if you have that much profit
            > margin and are not limited to off-the-shelf components.

            So my question is: why isn't there an off the shelf solution?

            This seems to apply to EVERY laptop sold.  Is there a reason (like some local electrical CODE or insurance on getting new types approved, etc.) why there are no simple answer that every laptop can use ?

            My old laptops certain suffered from the power JACK (the laptop side) breaking from excess side force over the years.

            ====

            Some electric kettles come with magnet power plug - so if you were to trip on it by accident, you would NOT pull / spill 2 liters of hot boiling water onto yourself.  This is NOT a new idea - no rocket science.  They didn't have to re-invent the wheel.