Re: [Electronics_101] Ion Air Filter

  • jong kung
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2011
      > My son got a Bell & Howell Ionic air filter at a yard sale.

      > It originally had a 12v wall transformer

      > They gave him a 14v transformer with it.

      > It seems to work fine.

      > Will the extra two volts damage it?

      I wouldn't so much worry about the 2 extra volts, but the quality of the transformers.

      I have found that some cheap (especially OLD) transformer V out is
      heavily dependent on device current draw.  So when there's little
      current draw, the V can be VERY high (I've seen 1.5x - 2x higher than
      rated on the case).  Also cheap transformers are exactly that -
      transformers - with very little regulation or ripple control.

      Does the transformer say it is regulated ??

      ====

      One other thing I would worry about is the MAX current capacity.  The
      replacement transformer may not have the current capacity of the
      original.  The way I understand it, these ion generators are very low
      current devices. But even so, many 12v, 14v transformers seems to be all
      lower than many lower V transformers (I'm not talking about those heavy
      duty car battery replacement units).

      So check the ion generator requirement and the transformer output capacity.