Re: [Electronics_101] Geda for tablet?

  • jong kung
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 24, 2011

      > Has anyone thought about designing a tablet version of the
      > geda suite? I imagine that the android would be the best
      > target given it's basis in Linux. Obviously the UIs would
      > need some significant reworking for the tablet interface,
      > but it might be an interesting platform.

      I don't have experience with android tablet but my wife has iPad.  At first I thought it was a waste of money.  But having seen it used and used it myself, it is a great concept and implimentation.  It has many advantages over a laptop:

      (1) smaller
      (2) lighter
      (3) extremely longer battery life
      (4) never really off - notify me when email come
      (5) quick turn-on / wake-up time
      (6) ability to pinch screen images (two finger operation)
      (7) built-in camera for 2 way skyping

      The iPad has additional benefits. For Ex: the LCD screen is super-wide angle view screen.  I can see from oblique angle and the screen image looks the same.  On my laptop (and many LCD screen) if the viewed from even slight angle the image looks like negative image of the original.

      Having said all these praises, I still mostly use my laptop and she use the iPad mostly.  iPad (and probably most android tablets) are mostly fit for web browsing - and light computing.  Even when answering emails, they typing on the touch screen becomes tedious.

      =====

      Strangely the smalle screen is not a big problem.  In windows a lot of windows real-estate is taken up by borders and such.  On the iPad they optimized the screen so as to not have much borders, etc.  So there's a lot less edge pixels wasted for static stuff.

      But for anykind of user input intensive software, I don't like the tablet.