Re: Old LCD monitor backlight problems?

  • AlienRelics
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 5, 2011
      --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, DaveC <davec2468@...> wrote:

      > >I have four LCD monitors with burnt out backlights waiting for LEDs.
      > >
      > >Steve Greenfield AE7HD
      >
      > -=-=-=-
      >
      > LEDs to be installed as replacements for the CCFL backlights? Or...?
      >
      > Details please!
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Dave

      The major issue could be the color balance of the white LEDs. I'm not sure how they are doing now, but some have rather odd spectrums.

      A possible issue is that some LCD monitors have a "power good" signal from the fluorescent high V power supply, you just have to figure that out and wire it high or low, as appropriate.

      Then fit a row of LEDs in where the fluorescent tubes were located, with appropriate current control.

      BTW, so-called "LED" TVs are just LCD TVs that use LEDs for their backlight. Not to be confused with OLED TVs.

      Steve Greenfield AE7HD
    • DaveC
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 6, 2011
        >The major issue could be the color balance of the white LEDs. I'm
        >not sure how they are doing now, but some have rather odd spectrums.

        Have you measured the led spectrums? Or just the datasheets? I wonder
        who is producing the ones for the TVs and monitors...

        >Then fit a row of LEDs in where the fluorescent tubes were located,
        >with appropriate current control.
        >Steve Greenfield AE7HD

        The laptop displays I've disassembled had one CCFL lamp at the bottom
        edge. Are desktop monitors the same? Or do they have a lamp at the
        top edge as well?