Re: [Electronics_101] Q about ultra sonic pest repellers

  • jong kung
    Message 1 of 44 , Jul 31, 2011
      > The reviews I have read say they are worthless.

      > http://www.walterreeves.com/insects-and-animals/ultrasonic-pest-repelling-devices/

      > http://www.ratbehavior.org/rathearing.htm#UltrasonicPestRepellers

      > http://www.livingwithbugs.com/electron.html

      That's too bad but probably correct.  After I posted the question, I
      went searching on youtube.  I usually find examples of stuff being
      tested.  But NOT ONE of these units actually working to repel mouse or
      rats.  Of the video showed how these things didn't do any thing, and he
      went on to catch mouse in the room with U.Sonic repellers.  If they
      worked there would be none in the room.

      ====

      I'm still NOT convinced that this kind unit won't work.  We KNOW that
      there are high freq teen repellers (I think the unit is called
      "mesquite").  I have a feeling the people who made these units have NOT
      done any research at all.

      I saw a TV show called "Weird Connections" and the story covers how the
      audio researcher found that ONE SET of freq that drove teens crazy - and
      then pumped up the volume.  The teens got incredible hear-aches
      standing close by and eventually scattered.

      My wife still has most of her hearing freq.  One day I downloaded
      freq-sine wave generator and played it through my head phones.  I could
      not hear anything about 18Khz but he still could.  And in fact she said
      it felt like the sound was punching her in the ear (like a gun shot near
      an ear).  And it wasn't all the freq but just few.

      So I'm figuring there might be some freq + amplitude that should work - except it might be dependent on the AGE of the mouse!!!

      :-)

    • orvillefpike
      Message 44 of 44 , Dec 4, 2011
        Rug rats.