Re: Why is our group echoed elsewhere? WAS - Re: [Electronics_101] help>> cmos ring oscillator

  • Mike Payson
    Message 1 of 55 , Jun 30, 2011
      denissuares,

      On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 8:49 PM, denissuares <denissuares@...> wrote:
      <snip>

      > I hope you do mirror of my comment, because my membership is pending, and I
      > can not wait until it is enabled.

      At your request, I am forwarding my response (with your post quoted) to the
      list.

      Your post assumes that I am somehow opposed to mirroring the list, but
      nothing could be farther from the truth. My problem with the mirror was not
      that it exists, but the unethical and illegal nature of the mirror.

      I have absolutely no problem with you (or whoever) mirroring the list, but
      there are a couple of caveats:

      1) GET PERMISSION!!!!!!!!!! It is really scummy to just think you (or
      whoever) can take other people's comments and republish them without their
      permission. Had you (or whoever) asked, I (personally, though I cannot speak
      for others) would have had no problem with you republishing the list,
      assuming the other caveats were followed. Archive.org does not explicitly
      ask permission ahead of time they do honor removal requests, unlike the
      person who was illegally mirroring the list:
      http://www.archive.org/about/faqs.php#2

      2) Remove all personally identifying info, or at least obfuscate any email
      addresses. I get plenty of spam as it is, so I do not appreciate my email
      address being posted to public websites without my permission.

      3) Not republish the list for profit. The blog that the list was hosted on
      was a free blog, so running ads on the blog was utterly unnecessary. The
      only person who stood to benefit from the ads was the person who was
      illegally taking the list and republishing it, NOT those of us creating the
      content. Archive.org, is a non-profit entity that only republishes publicly
      available websites. I am 100% supportive of their goals and have donated
      money to them in the past.

      FWIW, if Yahoo Groups ever does go away, I have a backup of the list back to
      the day that I subscribed, and I am sure many others have archives going
      back even further. If the archives went offline, they would undoubtedly be
      back online at a new server in short order. It would certainly be annoying,
      but I suspect the world would go on.

      I hope this clarifies my position.

      Mike

    • AlienRelics
      Message 55 of 55 , Jul 1 9:19 AM
        > At your request, I am forwarding my response (with your post quoted) to the
        > list.

        Next time, please consider the possibility that I am -not- allowing the post through for a reason. You don't have to forward a post to the list just because someone asks you to.

        I don't wish this to blow up again. The person in question, who is probably the one who had the for-profit blog leaching from here, has two comments pending and I was considering whether to allow them, or reply to them myself privately.

        I think perhaps what some of us find upsetting about this is that it is someone using our content to make money and appears to have no other purpose.

        Yahoogroups does that, but with full disclosure, as do many other online forums and discussion groups.

        Websites such as the archival websites previously mentioned, while using banner ads to make money, have the primary purpose of archiving these things for future. And they normally have valid contact information available.

        In this particular case, the only reason apparent for the existence of the blog was to make money from our content. It was not easily used, had no added content, and had no contact information. Posturing about archiving group messages aside, of course.

        Steve Greenfield AE7HD
        Your friendly neighborhood moderator