Communication device

  • kenney_jacob@yahoo.co.in
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2001
      I am a computer student and I wanted to do a project in communication
      between two computers. I was planning to do dialupnetworking without
      phonelines. I want to use a wireless device instead of phoneline. A
      transciever which can be connected to a modem and fool the modem that it is
      connected to a telephone line. This has a small problem. We will have to
      produce a dialtone, and when the modem dials the device on the other modem
      should produce ringing tone.

      I am also planning to make a device which can be connected to an ethernet
      card doing the same thing, eliminating wires. This also has a problem. This
      needs a high quality tranciever which can handle very high bandwidths.

      If you can help me please send me some additional information regarding the
      circuits I can use .

      Waiting for A reply
      Kenney
    • Tavys Ashcroft
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2001
        >I am also planning to make a device which can be connected to an ethernet
        >card doing the same thing, eliminating wires. This also has a problem. This
        >needs a high quality tranciever which can handle very high bandwidths.
        >
        >If you can help me please send me some additional information regarding the
        >circuits I can use .

        Some students at UC Davis where I used to go had set up their own
        wireless ethernet that way. They hooked up their dorm computer's
        ethernet to a transceiver and put a microwave antenna on top of their
        dorm building. Then with a laptop they could go anywhere on campus
        and pick up the two-way connection. Just like ethernet, no wires.
        All dorm computers there had shared T1 connection, so it was very
        fast. It was a hoot to see streaming video in the middle of a grassy
        field.

        I didn't find out much about what they actually did, but I know it
        sure is possible.

        -Tavys
      • kenney_jacob@yahoo.co.in
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2001
          Do you know anybody who did that, some contact or web addressess.