Re: [Electronics_101] SMT Parts Tray for assembly work

  • Mike Payson
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2010
      You mentioned dealextreme, but linked to ebay... Once you add shipping to
      that ebay auction, they are considerably cheaper from DX:

      The only downside of ordering from DX is you have no idea what color(s) you
      will get until they arrive.

    • Derward Myrick
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2010
        Andrew, He may be like me, I have SMT that did not
        come on tape. I also have units that were on tape but
        take up so much space I removed them from tape
        and put them in prescription bottles that I bought at
        Wallmart. I have from 5,000 up to 150,000 of each in resistors.
        caps, diodes, leds, inductors and others. When you have
        large quanties it soon takes too much space left on the
        roles. I do a lot of small runs on boards that I design
        and build for small Companies, mostly locally, and I have ladies
        that do the assembly by hand. I generally have under 1,000
        boards per run.

        Derward Myrick KD5WWI

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2010
          I leave the price comparisions up to the buyer, there might well be
          cheaper ebay offers.
          I bought some on DX.

          ST

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2010
            And apparently you even don't know what shape you get:

            ***quote***
            I have just received 50 new boxes, these are NOT compatible, 6 new
            ones are as wide as 7 old ones. The yellow old ones are pretty
            resistant, these are made from a good quality plastic but new ones
            looks like they will break if they fall to the floor, these are made
            from a very fragile toy-like plastic. The lids are no more rough but
            glossy finished so I think these are not good for writting on whit a
            permanent marker.
            If you are thinking about buying new boxes to upgrade your SMD kit
            made from old yellow boxes, DO NOT BUY THESE ONES. If you do not have
            old ones and you want to buy these boxes, please consider that the
            build quality is at least two stars worse than you can see at the
            reviews.
            *** end quote***

            I'm anal about matching stuff, and this sort of thing pisses me off.
            With the licefa boxes they don't play that kind of game, I can still
            buy replacements after many years.

            ST

            On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 3:20 AM, Mike Payson <mike@...> wrote:
            > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4580
            >
            > The only downside of ordering from DX is you have no idea what color(s) you
            > will get until they arrive.

          • Chuck Hackett
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2, 2010
              Thanks for all the info on SMT boxes, etc. Many good points.

              To Andrew's point: I'm rethinking my approach to the parts - Yes, 90% of them (R's,
              C's, LEDs) will be coming on cut tape and I agree that, for assembly (as opposed to
              storage) it would be easier if the tapes were held for the assembler such that
              pulling on the seal tape advances the carrier tape to present the part. I see this
              as particularly advantageous with things like SMT LEDs which are polarized. From
              doing my prototype board I can see that having to check for the little green line on
              each one would become a pain. I have emailed my friend to see if they have some
              kind of device they use for hand assembly with cut tape (as opposed to reels) parts.
              I'll also give this some thought. I think I can machine up something that would
              present the tapes and advance them as the seal tape is pulled. All without motors,
              etc. which is a bit over the top for the kind of volume I would ever do - even
              though the engineering challenge interests me :-)

              > From: Stefan Trethan
              > I'm anal about matching stuff, and this sort of thing pisses me off.
              > With the licefa boxes they don't play that kind of game, I can still
              > buy replacements after many years.

              I'm with ST on this one! Seems every time I go to Lowes/Home Depot to purchase a
              set of "parts drawers" they have changed vendors! Makes it hard to keep things from
              looking like a hodge-podge.

              Thanks again for the input.

              Cheers,

              Chuck Hackett
              "Good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment"
              7.5" gauge Union Pacific Northern (4-8-4) 844 http://www.whitetrout.net/Chuck