Re: [Electronics_101] New poll for Electronics_101

  • dangermouse
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 6, 2003
      Re this new poll, my own opinion is that none of the given options is the
      MOST important. An ability to think logically while resisting making
      assumptions is the most important quality I've found.

      Perhaps this is implied in "skeptical personality." I don't know.

      -DM

      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 6, 2003
        --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "dangermouse"
        <dangermouse1956@g...> wrote:
        > Re this new poll, my own opinion is that none of the given options
        is the
        > MOST important. An ability to think logically while resisting
        making
        > assumptions is the most important quality I've found.
        >
        > Perhaps this is implied in "skeptical personality." I don't know.
        >
        > -DM

        I think that 'defining the terms used' in the things one reads is
        most important.

        You can be anything and everything on that list and more, but, if you
        do not know what Vcc stands for you can't understand how to connect a
        chip or read a schematic.

        HUGE barrier to learning, just HUGE, and the schools don't have a
        clue about that one.

        Heck, I would bet that there are VERY few people who could write down
        a meaningful definition for some common words.

        Take this test.

        in 30 seconds per word, write a definition of each word. no
        googling, just your own knowledge.

        math

        electronics

        get a dictionary and see if you were close.

        next spec sheet you read, see if you really know what words you are
        reading.

        Dave
      • Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 21, 2003
          Electronics_101 group:

          Under which party was the most
          scientific developments made throught
          the history of the United State of
          America?

          o Republicans
          o Democrats
          o Independents
          o green party
          o undeclared

          web site listed above.

          Thanks!
        • Skip Leeds
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 21, 2003
            Oh, please.

            Skip

            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 21, 2003
              --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Skip Leeds" <skip@h...>
              wrote:
              > Oh, please.
              >
              > Skip

              ditto.

              This is not a good group for politics.

              one could argue that the republicans have been the war mongers and
              therefore have funded the industrail military complex. and that is
              where we got so much of the stuff we have.

              but, I would offer that scientists and engineers do not derive thier
              power or influence from any political agneda and THAT is where the
              advancemnets really come from.

              Dave

              thinking that using a time trave machine from Radio Shack just to go
              back a few hours to delete a post is just a wasted effort. Maybe, I
              could get yesterdays lottery numbers.....

              Dave

            • manifold
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 21, 2003
                Oh, please, seconded.

                wrote:
                > Oh, please.
                >
                > Skip

              • James Liddle
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 21, 2003
                  Oh, stop.

                  Jim

                  Skip Leeds <skip@...> wrote:
                  Oh, please.

                  Skip

                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 21, 2003
                    Please keep this kind of political drivel on groups that specialize
                    in it.

                    Mariss

                    Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                    > Electronics_101 group:
                    >
                    > Under which party was the most
                    > scientific developments made throught
                    > the history of the United State of
                    > America?
                    >
                    > o Republicans
                    > o Democrats
                    > o Independents
                    > o green party
                    > o undeclared

                    > web site listed above.
                    >
                    > Thanks!
                  • Todd Ariss
                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 21, 2003
                      ditto the "This is not a good group for politics."

                      Politics isn't the best of topics for an electronics group, especialy when not all members are American.

                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 21, 2003
                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 21, 2003
                          I agree with Dave, this isn't a political group, but why did Dave make
                          it political. If you want to discuss politics, I'll discuss it with you
                          direct.

                          Jim

                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 21, 2003
                            <dangermouse1956@g...> wrote:
> [...]

                            Although I like these type of debates as I usually get another
                            persons point of view, this is not the list to discuss such matters.

                            now, if we wanted to talk about the merits of things like radar or
                            lasers or whatever, and how the topic of electronics has benefitted,
                            that might be more appropriate.

                            Dave
                          • miktrain
                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 26, 2003
                              what has this got to do with electronics? Moderator please delete it and warn the culprit.

                              Tony

                              Message 14 of 29 , Oct 26, 2003
                                Around here the most scientific developments happen at a Mad Scientist
                                or DorkBot party. At least they seem brilliant at the time.

                                What a doof.

                                Steve

                                --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com,
                                Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                                > Electronics_101 group:
                                >
                                > Under which party was the most
                                > scientific developments made throught
                                > the history of the United State of
                                > America?
                                >
                                > o Republicans
                                > o Democrats
                                > o Independents
                                > o green party
                                > o undeclared

                                > web site listed above.
                                >
                                > Thanks!
                              • manifold
                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 26, 2003
                                  --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alienrelics@y...> wrote:
                                  > Around here the most scientific developments happen at a Mad Scientist
                                  > or DorkBot party. At least they seem brilliant at the time.
                                  >
                                  > What a doof.
                                  >
                                  > Steve

                                • manifold
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Oct 26, 2003
                                    Ok, that last post did not go the way it was intended. I'll try again.

                                    Steve, thanks for the reference to Dorkbot. This sounds like a group
                                    I'd like to get to know and it looks like there is a chapter close
                                    enough that I can go to meetings.

                                    http://dorkbot.org/

                                    --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alienrelics@y...> wrote:
                                    > Around here the most scientific developments happen at a Mad Scientist
                                    > or DorkBot party. At least they seem brilliant at the time.
                                    >
                                    > What a doof.
                                    >
                                    > Steve

                                  • Steve
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Oct 26, 2003
                                      Where are you? There's one in Seattle now, I think they started in New
                                      York.

                                      I have not been able to make it to any of Bill Beatty's friday
                                      meetings yet. Frustrating.

                                      Steve

                                      --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "manifold" <manifold_1@y...>

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 3, 2004
                                        Electronics_101 group:

                                        For Sale ads on the list - don't respond
                                        to the list! Vote on the Polls page link
                                        given.

                                        o Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam!
                                        o Anything remotely electronic, even DVD players and auction sites
                                        o Only electronic parts, plans, and kits related to learning and building electronics. Vendors welcome to answer requests. Unrequested for sale postings must include FS or For Sale in the subject line.
                                        o Only electronic parts, plans, kits by non-vendors.
                                        o No for sale ads at all! They're all spammers! Scorched earth...
                                        o Only Cowboy Neal may post

                                        web site listed above.

                                        Thanks!