Re: [Electronics_101] Relay parallel resistor?

  • DaveC
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2010
      This from a Panasonic 12vdc relay:
      "
      1) 12 V models:
      When connecting a coil surge protection
      circuit to these relays, we recommend a
      Zener diode with a Zener voltage of 24 V
      or higher, or a resistor (680W to 1,000W).
      When a diode is connected to the coil in
      parallel, the release time will slow down
      and working life may shorten. Before use,
      please check the circuit and verify that
      the diode is not connected in parallel to
      the coil drive circuit.
      "
      FYI,
      Dave
    • Ross McKenzie
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2010
        On 1/10/2010 5:01 PM, DaveC wrote:
        > This from a Panasonic 12vdc relay:
        > "
        > or a resistor (680W to 1,000W)
        > "
        > FYI,
        > Dave

        I very strongly suspect that each of those "W" signs are actually meant
        to be the sign for ohms.

        Cheers,

        Ross
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2010
          The uppercase omega sign often comes out as W, for this reason I never
          ever use the sign.
          There's no place for special characters, especially on the web, it
          just doesn't work.
          Just stick to 7 bit ASCII, they still knew what they did back then.
          Now they can perhaps make flashy websites, but you still don't see the
          same I see and when I scroll down in a text document it still keeps on
          scrolling long after I have released the key. Can anyone explain that?

          ST

          On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Ross McKenzie <valusoft@...> wrote:
          >  On 1/10/2010 5:01 PM, DaveC wrote:
          >> This from a Panasonic 12vdc relay:
          >> "
          >> or a resistor (680W to 1,000W)
          >> "
          >> FYI,
          >> Dave
          >
          > I very strongly suspect that each of those "W" signs are actually meant
          > to be the sign for ohms.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Ross

        • lists
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 1, 2010
            In article <AANLkTi=tcwWFb5X-0OPOfUsoFDhFscC7ZCn0Y12PSehg@...>,
            Stefan Trethan <stefan_trethan@...> wrote:
            > The uppercase omega sign often comes out as W, for this reason I never
            > ever use the sign.
            > There's no place for special characters, especially on the web, it
            > just doesn't work.
            > Just stick to 7 bit ASCII, they still knew what they did back then.

            Indeed, the standard symbol to represent ohms these days seems to be R, as
            in 10R or 8R2. Of course k, M and G are used too. I would guess what was
            meant was 680R-1k

            --
            Stuart Winsor
          • Kerim F
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 1, 2010
              Obviously, they don't mean using just a zener (if paralled) because it is also a diode in the reverse direction. So there is also a need for a diode in series with it (though with opposite direction).
              If the coil protection circuit should be mounted on the relay hence the polarity couldn't be known in advance, two zeners (same type), in series and opposite, may be connected in parallel to the coil terminals.

              Kerim

              --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, DaveC <davec2468@...> wrote:

              > This from a Panasonic 12vdc relay:
              > "
              > 1) 12 V models:
              > When connecting a coil surge protection
              > circuit to these relays, we recommend a
              > Zener diode with a Zener voltage of 24 V
              > or higher, or a resistor (680W to 1,000W).
              > When a diode is connected to the coil in
              > parallel, the release time will slow down
              > and working life may shorten. Before use,
              > please check the circuit and verify that
              > the diode is not connected in parallel to
              > the coil drive circuit.
              > "
              > FYI,
              > Dave

            • Donald H Locker
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 1, 2010
                I FULLY support the ASCII only email (see my sig :) I figure if I can't express my thoughts in words, all the colour and fonts and fancy markup won't make it any clearer. There are times when a picture helps, but those times should be carefully chosen, IMO.

                Regards,
                Donald.
                --
                *Plain Text* email -- it's an accessibility issue
                () No proprietary attachments; no HTML mail

                > The uppercase omega sign often comes out as W, for this reason I never
                > ever use the sign.
                > There's no place for special characters, especially on the web, it just doesn't work.
                > Just stick to 7 bit ASCII, they still knew what they did back then.
                > Now they can perhaps make flashy websites, but you still don't see the
                > same I see and when I scroll down in a text document it still keeps on
                > scrolling long after I have released the key. Can anyone explain that?
                >
                > ST
                >
                > On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Ross McKenzie
                > <valusoft@...> wrote:
                > >  On 1/10/2010 5:01 PM, DaveC wrote:
                > >> This from a Panasonic 12vdc relay:
                > >> "
                > >> or a resistor (680W to 1,000W)
                > >> "
                > >> FYI,
                > >> Dave
                > >
                > > I very strongly suspect that each of those "W" signs are actually meant
                > > to be the sign for ohms.
                > >
                > > Cheers,
                > >
                > > Ross

              • DaveC
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 1, 2010
                  >Indeed, the standard symbol to represent ohms these days seems to be R, as
                  >in 10R or 8R2. Of course k, M and G are used too. I would guess what was
                  >meant was 680R-1k
                  >
                  >--
                  >Stuart Winsor

                  Indeed, that is what the PDF -- from which I copied the text -- says.
                  I usually do use "ohms" rather than "W" ;-) although I should start
                  converting to xRx, etc.

                  Dave
                • Kerry Wentworth
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 1, 2010
                    The Ohm symbol is the upper case Greek letter Omega. The lower case
                    Omega looks like a 'w'.

                    Kerry

                    --
                    Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.