What is Power LED/high flux LED?

  • Sanmeet H
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30 9:24 PM
      Is there a definition for:
      1. Power LED
      2. High flux LED

      In case a definition doesn't exist, can anyone tell me how to determine whether
      a LED is Power LED or not & High flux LED or not.

      Best
      Sanmeet

    • Kerim F
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2010
        LEDs are devices that are better defined by their nomical current while their voltage (at this current) depends on their color (no matter if they are power LED or not). Usually any LED that needs about 150mA and above, could be called a power one. The popular standard of power LEDs are actually with a nominal current of 350mA (said 1W type) or 700mA (2W). For instance since white color (though composite color) is the most one used for lighting and the nominal voltage of a white LED is about 3V2, power could be calculated as 3.2V * 350mA = 1.12W (hence the 1W type).

        About high flux LED is, in my opinion, most related to the LED efficiency, that is the ratio (light emitted power)/(electrical consumed power). High efficiency (abouts 25% to 40% in the market) is more important for power LEDs. For example It helps decrease the heat dissipation in LED lamps and obviously decreases the consumed energy for the same lighting level. May I add, 'light flux' units as candela, lumen, nit etc... which are usually used in describing the light flux of an LED (or an LED product) should be understood well before going to do any necessary comparisons.

        Kerim