Re: Windows 7

  • alienrelics
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2010
      How many times must I say it? This is NOT a general software/computer help list.

      Steve Greenfield
      your grumpy neighborhood moderator

      --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Chris M <chrism3667@...> wrote:

      > I bought a laptop, actually 2 (on credit) about a year ago. Both came w/Vista, the actually issue is irrelevant, it sucks. I was promised a free upgrade to Windows 7, but missed the cutoff date. My concern is the ability to run some programs, any, w/o that annoying message "this program has known compatibility issues, do you want us to uselessly search for solutions online?". I obtained Delphi 8 Enterprise for next to nothing, and although I haven't installed it on either, I imagine it would generate that nefarious message. There's other things I want to be able to run also.
      >
      > I'm assuming W* 7 will be more compatible.
      >
      > So what are my options? Obtain 2 identical units with smashed everything except the hard drives in order to legally run W* 7? I'm not paying much more then a nickel in order to do so. Nuh uh.
      >
      > What about WINE (for Linux)? It's not an emulator (Wine Is Not an Emulator), but provides an environment for apps. Will that solve my problems?

    • Chris M
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2010
        why does someone bother posting that as a solution??? Do you really believe I don't see that as an (invalid) possibility???
        I don't want to pay upwards of 70-100$ per, that's why. Too many irons in the fire (read too many financial obligation, bills, other hobbies, charities, etc.)