OT: Plastic welding (was: My Hakko hot air 850 arrived!)

  • DaveC
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 5, 2010
      I have successfully used the Hakko hot air tool to do a bit of
      plastic welding. Not a large area, but for small stuff it gets plenty
      hot enough.

      Here's a photo of a scissor handle I fixed. Not an important job, but
      good practice:

      <http://tinypic.com/m/aw2jba/3>

      It's not pretty -- I haven't yet used the Dremel sander to smooth it
      out. But it's plenty strong, as strong as new, I'd guess. The new
      plastic added to the weld is completely bonded to the original,
      unlike adhesives, epoxies, J-B Weld, etc.

      If I were to give any advice I'd say start with low temperature. Less
      is better than more. You can always increase the heat as you need it,
      but with too high a temperature the plastic can quickly get very soft
      and out of control.

      And if the parts are small, be sure to clamp them in place as they
      will loose stability as the plastic softens and may take a warp when
      cooled.

      Enjoy,