Re: [Electronics_101] My Hakko hot air 850 arrived!

  • DaveC
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2010
      The hot air stations are perfect to double as a plastic welding tool,
      it seems to me.

      Anyone tried this?

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2, 2010
        The airflow is rather low. I found that for more substantial work a
        hot air gun with temperature control is better suited.

        But for small stuff you can certainly use it to weld plastic.

        Another use is to gently warm components to detect a thermal problem.

        ST

        On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 4:49 PM, DaveC <davec2468@...> wrote:
        > The hot air stations are perfect to double as a plastic welding tool,
        > it seems to me.
        >
        > Anyone tried this?
        >
        > Dave

      • DaveC
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 5, 2010
          I have successfully used the Hakko hot air tool to do a bit of
          plastic welding. Not a large area, but for small stuff it gets plenty
          hot enough.

          Here's a photo of a scissor handle I fixed. Not an important job, but
          good practice:

          <http://tinypic.com/m/aw2jba/3>

          It's not pretty -- I haven't yet used the Dremel sander to smooth it
          out. But it's plenty strong, as strong as new, I'd guess. The new
          plastic added to the weld is completely bonded to the original,
          unlike adhesives, epoxies, J-B Weld, etc.

          If I were to give any advice I'd say start with low temperature. Less
          is better than more. You can always increase the heat as you need it,
          but with too high a temperature the plastic can quickly get very soft
          and out of control.

          And if the parts are small, be sure to clamp them in place as they
          will loose stability as the plastic softens and may take a warp when
          cooled.

          Enjoy,