RE: [Electronics_101] DVR lightning strike and RTL8100Bs

  • Chuck Hackett
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2010
      > From: Andrew Villeneuve
      >
      > It's always been my experience that twisted-pair Ethernet interfaces
      > are
      > highly sensitive to power surges - much more so than the appliances
      > that people take the time to unplug during electrical storms.
      >
      > On PCs, I swap NICs whenever it happens. I've be interested in what
      > you find.

      Unfortunately, replacing the NIC is not an option. The LAN interface is on
      the motherboard.

      I can send in the motherboard for repair for $106 but I thought I'd take a
      crack at it first.

      BTW: I now have a three-stage (gas discharge, inductor, TVS diode) LAN surge
      suppressor (L-Com model AL-CAT5HPJW) on each end of the cable which goes
      between buildings that are on different power distribution transformers. We
      had lightning strikes in the area yesterday (including power blink-out) and
      so far all is well.

      Cheers,

      Chuck Hackett
      "Good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment"
      7.5" gauge Union Pacific Northern (4-8-4) 844
      http://www.whitetrout.net/Chuck